Advice needed on 68 barracuda top front valance

-

Newkytigergirl

Reaction score
I bought my 68 Fastback about a year and a half ago. It has been in various stages of repair since. I have been working with the body shop and we noticed the bottom bracket is broken off/ missing. Does anyone have a good picture of the center bracket? Or how it connects? Awhile ago I saw it connected to the radiator. But my body guy said he will make me a new one if we can figure out what it should connect to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The panel that you refer to is called a "header panel".
Have you tried a google image search?

NExt idea: Try contacting your local Mopar club. Ours in Sacramento meets the first Tuesday of every month. Maybe you can contact a club officer and relay your request.

I bought my 68 Fastback about a year and a half ago. It has been in various stages of repair since. I have been working with the body shop and we noticed the bottom bracket is broken off/ missing. Does anyone have a good picture of the center bracket? Or how it connects? Awhile ago I saw it connected to the radiator. But my body guy said he will make me a new one if we can figure out what it should connect to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
mine went to the small centered hole in the k frame, I now run a tubular front end, so I tied the front valance to the new tube front w/ hand made alum. just so things won`t vibrate. not to radiator !

Are you referring to the bracket that runs down from under the hood latch receiver to the lower valance?

-------------------------------------------------------- hey , hows it going, my stuff ain`t stock, so no help here. Did u ever get the hood mounted? we`d like to see pics of your car, what color ?

Okay here are a few photos - not entirely sure this is what you are after. Also my garage is a little dark so I will try to reference and explain under each photo the best I can:

IMG_0705 - Copyresize.jpg

So here is an illustration out of the 68 factory service manual of what I think you are talking about.

IMG_0693 - Copyresize.jpg

This is looking down between my grill and a/c condenser. The dark red bar coming down and curving under the ac condenser is the center bracket. It bolts into frame crossmember. About halfway down you will see a bracket that comes off this center bracket horizontally and bolts into a lip on the lower valence.

IMG_0700 - Copyreize.jpg

Another pic of the center bracket curving under the ac condenser.

IMG_0703 - Copyresize.jpg

Slightly different pic angle showing one of the bolts. Should be two more bolts just to the right of this bolt by the FSM illustration,

IMG_0697 - Copyresize.jpg

Pic showing a closer shot of the horizontal bracket coming off the center bracket.

IMG_0702 - Copyresize.jpg

Probably confusing but this one handed hail mary iphone pic was taken from the bottom of the car pointing up and shows where the horizontal bracket attached to a lip on the valence.

IMG_0704 - Copyresize.jpg

Looking down to show where the horizontal bracket is supposed to be attached to the valence lip. As you can see on my 68 the hole on the bracket does not line up to the lip hole and it is not attached! Not sure why, I did get into an accident many moons ago in a snowstorm in northern Arizona, but do not recall if that area was damaged or not. Anyway, something to fix in my fix up project!

Hope these pics help. Scott

Okay here are a few photos - not entirely sure this is what you are after. Also my garage is a little dark so I will try to reference and explain under each photo the best I can:

View attachment 1715029219
So here is an illustration out of the 68 factory service manual of what I think you are talking about.

View attachment 1715029220
This is looking down between my grill and a/c condenser. The dark red bar coming down and curving under the ac condenser is the center bracket. It bolts into frame crossmember. About halfway down you will see a bracket that comes off this center bracket horizontally and bolts into a lip on the lower valence.

View attachment 1715029221
Another pic of the center bracket curving under the ac condenser.

View attachment 1715029222
Slightly different pic angle showing one of the bolts. Should be two more bolts just to the right of this bolt by the FSM illustration,

View attachment 1715029224
Pic showing a closer shot of the horizontal bracket coming off the center bracket.

View attachment 1715029225
Probably confusing but this one handed hail mary iphone pic was taken from the bottom of the car pointing up and shows where the horizontal bracket attached to a lip on the valence.

View attachment 1715029228
Looking down to show where the horizontal bracket is supposed to be attached to the valence lip. As you can see on my 68 the hole on the bracket does not line up to the lip hole and it is not attached! Not sure why, I did get into an accident many moons ago in a snowstorm in northern Arizona, but do not recall if that area was damaged or not. Anyway, something to fix in my fix up project!

Hope these pics help. Scott
Scott, you captured the front valence support well, that is exactly what my 68 looks like, except that one center support is connected

You guys are amazing exactly what I'm looking for... now to see if I can get that brace. I thought the whole thing was a piece of the header panel. So now I need one... still waiting on painternational though but we are really close

-
Back