Advice on camshaft for a 318, please.

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. Last summer I put a 318/360 Edelbrock Performer with a 600 cfm Holley and headers on my 318 engine. It is a little sluggish and I am pretty sure that is because I did not change the camshaft. The engine was bored over .030 as a stock rebuild by the previous owner with no intentions of performance enhancement. I do not want to get into switching heads and was hoping the camshaft change would help.
I was told a stock 340 camshaft would be a reasonable exchange in this case. Can anyone advise?
Oh, I still have stock igntion and distributor. I would expect electronic is advised?
And if there is any other adjustment you would consider doing on the engine let me know.
Thanks Greg - 69cudaownr

Instead of a stock 340, I'd stick either the small SUmmt brand cam, or the XE262 from Comp.

To make a accurate recommendation....I would like to know your estimated Compression Ratio, and how much RPM you want to turn.

If you just want to get some pickup over the OEM Cam....go with the Comp Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet XE262H

If you want some performance, and some lope, get the XE268H
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Product_Code=20-223-3&Category_Code=LACAMHFXE

Do you happen to know which cylinder heads your 318 has?

Good luck

The XE268H is a bit big for a stock-head, stock-compression 318. That cam is more common in built-up 360s. The XE262 is the biggest I'd go with. In fact on my 318 with stock #302 heads, stock exhaust manifolds, Performer intake, and ThermoQuad carb, I'm about to run a Lunati Voodoo 256/262 which is smaller than the XE262.

EDIT: Forgot about your ignition stuff too. Along with a cam swap I'd also definitely go to an Electronic Ignition setup (I have a Mallory HyFire 6A box in my car, little much but I wanted a good system) and give it about 12* of initial spark advance with around 34* total at 2700 RPM or so (to get it just right you'd have to experiment and tweak it a bit at a time).

check port sizes. the 318 head has smaller ports than 340 or 360. this could cause turbulence in the intake runners

Cudaowner;

Your rear gear ratio is a big factor as well and if you go up in cam size a bit, like the 340 cam or larger, a stall converter would help alot.

I myself have replaced the grandma gear ratio in my Duster from a 2.76 to a 3.21 with a suregrip. The cam I am useing is a Crane, advertised at 272/284 (@.050 - 216-228 ) w/.454 - .480 lift. It's on a 112 centerline which promotes a smooth idle. A 110 centerline will chop in a 318. Anyway.......

It also has a 600 cfm carb, a Edelbrock LD4B, previous intake to the performer and headers. No extra stalling converter required. The car runs high 14's and gets decent mileage.

The above cams are also good recomendations. Comp or Summit cams are fine. A jump in gear would really help.
Head work would also help alot, but I don't know if takeing the heads off for a milling with valve work (Just back cutting the valves would be a min. 360 valves is a max mod) is in your budget or the venue you want to go.

I do not know what heads are on it. I assume they are stock for a 69. The engine has never had any performance parts on it.
I think I will take the advice you all gave and go with the XE262, plus the electronic ignition. Thanks

Rumblefish360 - Rob
It is a 4 speed and I have an 8 3/4 housing waiting to go in the car. Was thinking of going with 3:23 suregrip. The car has a 7 1/4 presently
That leads me to another question. I am looking for the posi/sure grip third member. What is the difference between the 741, 742 and the 489 case? Is there one I should be looking at in particular?
Greg

There pinion size's are different. They will all handle a preety high horse power load no maatter the size.
For what you need it for and at the power level your at, there is no worry about what pinon size to use. Just look for the correct U joint size to match what you have now or you'll end up with a cross over joint which is a joint of 2 sizes in one.
Also count splines to match it with your axles. Just to be sure.

The XE268H is a bit big for a stock-head, stock-compression 318. That cam is more common in built-up 360s. The XE262 is the biggest I'd go with. In fact on my 318 with stock #302 heads, stock exhaust manifolds, Performer intake, and ThermoQuad carb, I'm about to run a Lunati Voodoo 256/262 which is smaller than the XE262.

EDIT: Forgot about your ignition stuff too. Along with a cam swap I'd also definitely go to an Electronic Ignition setup (I have a Mallory HyFire 6A box in my car, little much but I wanted a good system) and give it about 12* of initial spark advance with around 34* total at 2700 RPM or so (to get it just right you'd have to experiment and tweak it a bit at a time).

It is about as big as one should go with a stock compression 318, but mine performs well with this cam and it should in any other similarly built 318 (XE268). It is only a tad bigger than the XE262. It worked great with a stock converter and 3.21s, but works stellar (for a 318) with a 2200-2400 stall tc like my Duster now has and easily pulls hard to 5800 and runs mid to high 14s. With that said, I still agree on the XE262 being a good performance cam as well.

-
Back