Advice on Wilwood disc brake

-
Two things to check: bolt pattern, 4 or 4.5 inch and will a 14 inch Rallye fit over their caliper?

It is my understanding that Wilwoods will NOT work with 9" spindles . The kit that I have is for 10"drum spindles . Nor will it work with disc brake spindles . The good news is that the hubs are drilled for 4" and 4.5" bolt circle . If you wish to use aftermarket wheels (Weld comes to mind) order the kit with 3" studs . It is a great kit with great aftermarket support . good luck

The wilwoods on my car are on a 9in spindle. My 14 inch ralleys would not fit. I ended up converting the whole car to big bolt pattern and switched to 15" billet specialties.

I think the idea of Wilwoods on 9" spindle may not be good, so have to change.

It is the clearence of the inside wheel that is the issue.

Thank you all for your comments

If the kit uses the 9" lower ball joints, that is not good either as they are very weak. It may be tough to obtain parts in England, but you can do better.

Also, the Wilwoods use 1/2" studs even for SBP. So finding a 1/2" lugnut to bolt on a steel wheel intended for a 7/16" nut might be an impossibility.

OK if I was to change the front 9" drum to a disc conversion using all new parts, changing wheels to 15" and 4.5" bolt pattern, what complete kit would you recommend, and I am looking to purchase in USA as these parts are not easy to find here.
Thank you.

That looks like the same kit i used .........
- First of all i never new they made a sbp mopar rotor out there for ww 's?
- so i switched to BBP....
-14 inch ralleys do seat on hub flush ... BUT ever so slightly contact caliper , you can probably slightly file outer face of caliper if you want to make the 14 inch bbp road/ralley wheel work ... ( even though you use the shims that WW gives you that goes between wheel and hub ....
-14 inch steelies bbp do not work period ... i tried a AMC wheel
- 15 inch bbp steelies ( with dog dish cap ) will work , but i had to have Stockton in california make me 15 X 5.5 to make it work .. does a factory 15 inch mopar wheel work ???? i would say maybe , since the 15 inch steelies work ..
-ww does give you a drawing of caliper/rotor/hub dimensions when you purchase one of there kits to help in wheel locating ...

Can I get Kelsey-Hayes front disk set up new?

Last edited:
This what you need to do...........sit down and put on paper what your final goal is to achieve in wheels type and wheel size.... the reason i say this ... i was in the same boat and i kept chaning my mind and it costing me money after money to get the brake system to work with the wheels....... if you want to eventually go to 15 inch wheels then do the change over now ... if you want to stay with 14 inch then do it now ...
Either way it is going to be expensive staying with sbp or going to bbp...
I just sold i think ( waiting for money order ).... a complete kelsey hayes sbp setup , and i mean bolt on... for 600 dollars... and that was a STEAL.....but shipping was expensive due to weight ...
GO bbp >.big bolt pattern.....

I would recommend calling Bill at RMS (Reilly Motorsports)

2nd, you'd be silly not to upgrade to a 4.5" pattern.

Thank for all the advice here it is great and has me thinking.
Yes I agree 4.5 would be best to have but its cost for buying and importing to England would be large.
There is not much here to have and to buy new it is only in US.
for this reason (cost) only the decision is harder, if I was in US then I would change it to 4.5 wheels front and back.

So what would you say about using this:

1960-72 Dodge, Plymouth "A" body, with 9" drums Wheel Kit

Has anyone used this, is it a good product.

Thank you guys.

-
Back