Advise for a 904 Trans-brake

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m planning ahead for a winter project for my race car.I,m pulling my transmission and going to have a trans-brake installed.Any advise on brands/make/prices for a 904 trans would help.Car is my 66 Dart with 410c.i smallblock,904 with lower 1st gear,red belts,blue clutches,manual valvebody with an 8 inch 4500 stall.I,m running 7AL 2step with a Dana60/4.30 gears.Any advise will be appreaciated.Thanks
View attachment St.Thomas.jpg

Scott, I'm sure your aware trans brakes are real hard on stuff. Not sure the limit on the input shaft but I'd definetly check into replacing it with a billet piece. 3 places I always check prices when it comes to rebuilding a trans. to this level is Cope Racing Trans, A&A Transmissions, and Andrews Racing. I'm sure any of the 3 could tell ya what is recommended when upgrading to a trans brake.

IMO your on the right track with blue plates and red bands. Make sure and use Kolene coated steel plates too as they take heat better. Stay away from Kevlar bands, have read their bad about glazing over and not holding. I've had good luck with red linings.

Are you sure the low gear set if right for you? Most light cars with low gears don't benefit much, if any, from it. I don't know this by experience but read a lot what the faster racers say.

Hey Tracy, my 904 trans build was built with all info from Chris Andrews.I,ve thought about swapping out the lower 1st gear now with going transbrake.I guess I,ll get in touch with Chris Andrews for more info with the transbrake install and parts needed.Thanks for suggestions.

Hey Scott. I forgot Chris helped you before. He's real sharp so I'm sure he can again. I'm sure he'd also have some input on the low gear set. Good luck and let me know what he says.

Hey Scott. I forgot Chris helped you before. He's real sharp so I'm sure he can again. I'm sure he'd also have some input on the low gear set. Good luck and let me know what he says.
Tracy I messaged Chris,waiting for a responce and will keep you updated with my plans.:D

We have used the electric shift trans brakes (trans king I think) in several cars, thousands of passes without a single problem, deadly consistant every single shift.

ive tryed all types of frictions in a transbreak application and they all do the same, burn out. its just the nature of the beast. thats why they are so high mantenance. you will have to pull it every year and freshen it. if it lasts that long. ask around on the valve body, you want one with rear band apply in manual low. use the 360 front drum, they were 5 disc stock and you can use the 360 front band which was wider along with the hd band strut. i would ditch the low ratio gearset. your convertor may be ok, but you'll probbly want more later. and change the rear servo piston for the billit one. i havent seen any input shafts break, but these trannys are getting to be 45 years old, so anything can happen.

I havent seen any input shafts break, but these trannys are getting to be 45 years old, so anything can happen.

Yes; the belt-driven centrifugally-supercharged slant six in Steve Nitto's Duster twisted a 904 input shaft in two at Vegas, earlier in the year...

If it happens with a slant six, I can only guess what its lifespan might be with a small block stroker motor...

Just my 2-cents...

We use Penzoil Hydrastatic Tractor Fluid in the trans's and after a year of bracket racing take the trans apart and look at the clutches and they still look new so just throw in right back in.

Pm OldKimmer about this he will walk you through it , TCS in Langley BC makes most of the billet stuff you want for this upgrade , Buy Canadian and save eh ! Try giving them a call they we're real helpful when I built my 904 even talked me through the measuring when I stacked the drums .

Been running Tranzact of Indy Probrake since 1993...got two of the newer ones in the Dart and Demon...all 3 are 904s...the demon has the low gear set...

I have 5 thin disc/steels in the 4 disc clutch pac...multispring kit in front clutch pac,..5.0 lever....the mulit spring kit is more important the type of disc material...

same clutch disc and bands going on 5 or 6 yrs now in 71 dart....if you are burning disc...you need the multispring kit...the large single spring is unwinds at higher rpm and the clutch disc drag in the front clutch pac....have not had any problems with clutch disc in any of the 3 trans...and the one in the old barracuda ran for 10 yrs or so before it was rebuild due to a ring gear failure...

dont think you will have any problems with the stock input shaft...

Great advise and real world experiences.I just got the car in the garage,so will be a couple mnths before I dig into this project.Anymore advise and experiences are definetly welcome..:D

-
Back