Advise needed: Air Shocks

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
Ok, here's the situation -

Street Only, almost daily driver 1968 Dart GT, originally with a 273 V8, now with a 383. 727 torqueflight, 8 3/4 Sure Grip, 3.91 gear-set

Still wearing the same ol' stock Leaf Springs, although on 7/8" Offset Spring Mounts.

Rear Shocks are Monroe Air Shocks.

The Dart will likely not see the Track anytime soon, if ever...

It's just a streeter...and does OK, But I wonder if some changes in the Rear Suspension would likely notch it up a bit when launching..

What concerns me is that I may be cheating myslef by running what I have as rear suspension components at the moment..

It was suggested to me that I should replace the Air Shocks with KYBs or some other adjustable shock.

What say you guys..?

Replace the Air Shocks..?

Replace or upgrade the Leaf Springs..?

Both..?

Again, this is a daily driver, not a competition car.

Thanx for your time.

--

My '71 Dart GT was originally 318 ci equipped but later had a 340 dropped into it prior to me buying it, and I've found a huge difference in handling by changing out all of the above components you mentioned. It's a weekend Driver and I've replaced:
1. front and rear shocks (KYB in the back)
2. ball joints
3. front & rear sway bars
4. rear leaf springs
5. torsion bars
It had air shocks on it when I got it, and I (stupidly) replaced them with a set of Monroe air shocks which I could never get to stop leaking. I finally pulled those off and put a set of KYBs on when I did the springs. Even though it's a Driver, the replacement components have made a huge difference in handling. Good luck with yours.
As an afterthought, yours would definitely benefit from replacing the original torsion bars with a beefier set made to accomodate the weight of the 383, IMHO.

"changes in the Rear Suspension would likely notch it up a bit when launching.."

Working off of your words. Leaf spring suspensions are very simple in design. they simply suspend the vehicle's weight on an inverted arc. Nothin to it, right? Until you start wanting to hook up or make your launch better. Air shocks and even gas shocks make leaf spring suspensions sorta useless in terms of a launch. If you want a better launch with stock springs, add a pinion snubber. It will force the rear suspension to work for you and plant the tires. Air shocks do not allow the leaf springs to compress and will cause the rear tires to lift off the ground. That ain't real great for traction. Gas shocks can essentially do the same thing. The best thing to do (although not the most cost effective) if your springs are sagging is to replace them. I would go with the XHD springs from Mancini. They will work well and not be as harsh as the SS springs. Also, a nice regular heavy duty hydraulic shock in the rear will work best, regardless of all the hype and marketing you see and hear about fancy gas charged shocks. They are cheaper, too. I know all this is probably more than you wanted to do.....BUT you did say you want to make your launch better. You're not gonna do that with air shocks or gas shocks or add a leafs.

Using air shocks is like putting leaf springs from a cement mixer on your car. They may jack up the back but they also increase the spring rate out of this world as well as severly overload the shock mounts.
They are an old timers fix for an easily correct problem.

Air shocks should really be used as a load leveling aid. I have a set on my car for 20 years and theres no damage as everybody claims you'll get.

Air shocks can be OK for drivers needing a little bit of lift. They general have more travel than many other shocks, so launching the car with them could be OK, but, the cave eat is also the amount of air pressure in them. Not enuff pressure, but ride height is good will equal a bouncing ride and loss of control.
The flip side is to much air pressure, not enuff shock travel and crap launch. Just tire spin.

IMO, for a ride that runs near daily or daily, your A body would be happy with new leafs. 1 inch over bend if need be, but thats it if clearance is needed. KYB shocks are good replacement shocks and base to start from since there inexpensive.

340 Dart Power makes some very good suggestions.

SS springs,longer ubolts,pinion snubber,competition engineering rear shocks,90/10s up front.

Streeter...

Set it up so it's comfortable and drives nice and deal with the lack of traction when you step on it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want it to hook. Clamp the front spring segments, loosen the rear segments and put a good shock on it. You can get away with cheap shocks or cheap springs, but not both. It will ride like a cement truck in the rear.

80% of making a car hook is from the rear spring front eye mounts forward in the car.

Pick your poison.

Jegs ce rear 50/50 shocks,extended length.Part # 247-2735. These work great with ss springs and are fairly cheap.

Thanx for the suggestions..

BTW, the front end on my Dart presently has new ball joints, KYB shocks, .920 Torsion Bars and a Sway Bar by ADDCO...I am OK with all that...8)

The Rear suspension is what is lacking a bit of "work"..in an effort to plant it better, I installed Laddr bars. That helped with taming down Wheel-Hop quite a bit, but I'm still getting too much wheel spin..

Rear Tires are BFG 255-60R/ 15

Thank you again..

SS springs,longer ubolts,pinion snubber,competition engineering rear shocks,90/10s up front.

yes,yes,yes...all well and good...but how much does all that stuff cost?...hmm? $500???....Mike did say it's just a street car...no racing, so no launching. A good ( I said GOOD) set of air shocks...$100 maybe...definitely a cheap way to level the car. AND Yes, I'm guilty of taking my own advise.

And NO, I'm not in favor of putting 150lbs of air in them and sticking the front bumper into the asphault.

Just my opinion....whatever that's worth...

Does anyone have any thoughts on ... the air over leaf bags ? Looks like you can get a set for 2.5 leafs for around $250 from ridetech. Would they help an old leaf spring out?

Does anyone have any thoughts on ... the air over leaf bags ? Looks like you can get a set for 2.5 leafs for around $250 from ridetech. Would they help an old leaf spring out?

They would, but for that kind of money I would just replace the leaf springs. You can get them for about the same money from Springs and Things.

They would, but for that kind of money I would just replace the leaf springs. You can get them for about the same money from Springs and Things.

My new 5-leaf springs were $185 plus shipping from Springs & Things (ESPO) just a few weeks ago.

Airshocks were originally designed to be a temporary means of leveling the load on a truck. The car thing was a typical street racer solution using parts for other than their intended design. Trucks already had HD springs. Trucks already have stronger frames and shock mounts. All of the things that an automobile don't have. Remember that the springs support the weight/load. Shock absorbers/spring dampeners control the compression, rebound cycle of the springs. Airbag over springs are designed to carry load.
Do it the proper way regardless of whether it is for street or strip. New springs and matching shocks F & R if for the street. Adjustable shocks if for the strip.

Air shocks do tend to break loose the upper shock studs that you see on the trunk. Then they make a god awful rattle till you get them welded.

When I was in college, I put air shocks on my dart as a way to lift the back end up. It made for a cool look (IHMO), but it made a harsh ride for a daily driver. I think traction in the rear was actually reduced, especially in cornering situations. Even those seen by a daily driver. I can't prove it, but my perception was that it also increased the likelihood of my rear brakes locking up in last minute stop situations. I'm not sure if that is even a possibility, but that was my perception. During that time I regularly would visit the local drag strip, and after putting on the air shocks, I can't say that I remember a difference in the way the car launched. It has been a long time, though, and maybe my car didn't have enough power for the shocks to make a difference.

Travis

Not mentioned BUT the BFG's do not hook up. they spin. They are like hockey pucks. you need better rear tires. I use BFG's but I dont need car to hook up. I dont race.
Rear Tires are BFG 255-60R/ 15

My new 5-leaf springs were $185 plus shipping from Springs & Things (ESPO) just a few weeks ago.

Exactly, might as well throw new springs under it and be done.

Air shocks were cool and all the rage back in the 70's, but I saw my fair share of busted upper shock mounts on several cars.

I posted from my phone earlier, and it wouldn't let me put ESPO in the post, stupid smart phones, lol.

-
Back