Advise on 360 build

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am on a information quest now concerning a 360 build, Here is an example of what one reputable mopar engine builder has quoted:

I just quoted a 360 just like what your looking for. Basically a complete engine intake to oil pan. Projected power is 375-400hp and 400+tq. Slight lope at idle, but not that much. A real good solid 360 that will perform for years and years.

This engine package is $5000 and is our most basic engine build we have.

So I asked him: Is it possible to have you email a more detailed description of exactly what you would be using for the build, ie; LA or magmun block.. overbore, pistons, cam, intake, etc

He replied:

This will be a LA 360, unless you want a magnum 360. Stock crank, after market rods/pistons, stock 360 heads with new valves/port work, hydrauilc flat cam with 220/230 duration .475" lift, all new valvetrain(non-roller), Dual plane intake, stock type oil pump/pan new, painted any color you like, crome valave covers, high flow water pump. This will be around 10 to 1 compression and run on pump gas 91-93 octane.

You do have options. If you want roller rockers, after market heads, roller cam, carb, ignition system, dyno tune, ect. Just ask and I will let you know how much the upgrade is.

Time to build is generally in the 6-8weeks range. We would require a deposit before starting, the rest due when ready to ship. Deposit depends on the final price if there are any options added. As a rule the deposit is 75% of the final cost. The quote is good for 30 days.

so I asked: would there be a cost difference in the LA verses the Magnum block? also what would if any would the overbore be? What kind of Aftermarket pistons/rods,cam? and how much for Electronic Ignition Dist, carb & Dyno tune?

Comments?? suggestions??? what questions am I missing?? etc Thanks, John

I would ask if they offer pre mag block that already has a roller cam in it. If the price is the same (between a LA block and Mag block or a pre mag block) I'd pick the one with the roller.

The 6 to 8 week build time concerns me, that seems like an awfully long time, Is this place close to you?? it kinda sounds like Carolina engines, what do you have for a motor now?? why not just have that rebuilt?? in FLA there must be someplace you can take it to have it built, I just had my 412 stroker built last summer, and the parts, rebuild etc, from a in town machine shop ran me approx $6700 that included the stroker kit and balancing. $5000. seems a little high for a basically stock 360.

Right now I have my 66 Dart GT(pic in avatar) 273/180hp. 904 tranny. 7 1/4 rear end. Just bought an 8 3/4 and plan on running 3:55 suregrip. added vintage air and keeping that installed. Not going to race the car on the strip, but want something with some guts but yet streetable to drive more than just around town if I choose to. The quote was a guy from Michigan who is strickly a Mopar Engine Builder. I am waiting for a guy from South Florida, who was highly recommended from guys here on Abody. I am in Deland, Fl. close to Daytona Beach. I appreciate all comments and/or suguestions!!

Thanks, John

Right now I have my 66 Dart GT(pic in avatar) 273/180hp. 904 tranny. 7 1/4 rear end. Just bought an 8 3/4 and plan on running 3:55 suregrip. added vintage air and keeping that installed. Not going to race the car on the strip, but want something with some guts but yet streetable to drive more than just around town if I choose to. The quote was a guy from Michigan who is strickly a Mopar Engine Builder. I am waiting for a guy from South Florida, who was highly recommended from guys here on Abody. I am in Deland, Fl. close to Daytona Beach. I appreciate all comments and/or suguestions!!

Thanks, John
Is your engine original?? if it is you could build it but I would hang onto it and build the 360 like your thinking, make sure you keep your old engine, and put it away for safe keeping, (if it's original) wish I would have done that with mine, anyway I think your on the right track with the 8 3/4 3:55's that is what I have in mine, runs about 3300- 3500 at 70 mph, and keeping your build in FLA is also a good idea, if you bought the engine from that guy in Michigan hard to get any kind of a warantee from that, he is closer to me then you, lol. Good luck let us know what you decide, your car looks real nice btw

-
Back