Advise on re-aligning 8 3/4 sure grip splines.

-

trebor75

Reaction score
I’m putting together a 8 3/4 rear axle. It’s not on the car but on my work bench. When installing the axles the passenger side wont fully seat. I believe it is the splines in the sure grip that is misaligned. I have the clutch type. I did some research and found two ways of re-aligning them:

1 - hook up the driveshaft, put the shifter in Park, install the axle as far as it will go and use a long prybar to turn the axle while pushing inward. The clutches in the Sure-Grip should slip enough to allow the splines to line up.

Since the rear end is not installed on the car and my drive shaft is to long at the moment anyway. Has any one done this with the rear axle on a work bench and had success? I put the yoke in a large vice today and tried to turn the axle and push in, I could not move it an inch!!! I guess this takes a lot of force?

2 Take the thing apart again and loosen the bolts on the sure gip enough to get both axels in, them keep them in while tightening the bolts again. Then I have to do the backlash settings all over again...

What would you do? I guess the first method would be easier if the axle was on the car.

If it refuses to go in, you may have to loosen the bolts in the suregrip and insert the axles and re tighten. When I rebuilt mine I snugged the bolts put the axle in and tightened.

If it refuses to go in, you may have to loosen the bolts in the suregrip and insert the axles and re tighten. When I rebuilt mine I snugged the bolts put the axle in and tightened.

Can this be done with the diff in the case? Just remove the cap on the sure grip bolt side? Are thoose left hand bolts?

Can this be done with the diff in the case? Just remove the cap on the sure grip bolt side? Are thoose left hand bolts?

No need to even loosen the cap. Just loosen the sure grip case bolts and yes they are left hand thread. Once loose insert both axles and wiggle them to make sure their centered then tighten the bolts.

No need to even loosen the cap. Just loosen the sure grip case bolts and yes they are left hand thread. Once loose insert both axles and wiggle them to make sure their centered then tighten the bolts.

I thought the bolts might be a little hard to reach with the cap on there. But it would be even better if did not have to take loosen the cap.

Thanks for the info guys, anything else I should think of?

I used the "prybar method" with the axle on the ground and with some help from friends and got the splines aligned =D>

I have a pair of axle stubs I cut off for building SG's. But you can install the third member and use the pry bar method to install the axles.

-
Back