afb 1407 bog finally gone! get out the tiny drill bits. And a tuning question

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
Changed jets, rods, springs, squirters, on a 1407 afb. Going rich on rods n jets did help but ended up with a cruise afr of 11:1. Not great.
Went back to standard jets and rods, then drilled the idle feed restriction tubes from a #63 to a #62 drill bit size and now it fries tires instead of chug-chug-chug when you wack it from a stop.
Super stoked and thought I'd share. It is a little rich on cruise, more like 13.5-13.6 but I can deal with that.
That afr gauge is a game changer

On another note,
I'm getting a super rich, 10.1:1 afr on decel. Floats are set normal height although I do have the larger float needles n seats. Any ideas on this? It's after a slight acceleration and gentle deceleration. Runs great otherwise. Fuel pressure is 3#, was at 5# and acted the same

Last edited:
Good to hear somebody tuning a Carter.
I had tried an AVS on the Colt, but wasn't having much luck.
Where it you find or purchase your numbered drill set?

I find the same condition on deceleration. But I am much leaner on cruise like 15 to 1 and then down to 13.3 or so on deceleration. Its the lack of air with butterflies closed and excess fuel burning off.im believing it is normal.

Good to hear somebody tuning a Carter.
I had tried an AVS on the Colt, but wasn't having much luck.
Where it you find or purchase your numbered drill set?
That's a great question, probably ebay. It's nothing fancy. Got 'em for working on a weber. Now there's a pain in the butt carb
I find the same condition on deceleration. But I am much leaner on cruise like 15 to 1 and then down to 13.3 or so on deceleration. Its the lack of air with butterflies closed and excess fuel burning off.im believing it is normal.
Aha, thanks! That makes sense. I'd like it a bit leaner but it's so much better I can't complain

When you change n/s seat, you change the float level. Nominal float level on Edel carbs is 7/16" with the factory n/seats & 5 psi fuel pressure. Change the FP &/or n/s size, & float level needs to be adjusted. Use 5 psi & increase the float level from 7/16" to 15/32" if you are using larger n/s.
Expect a rich mixture on decel because you have the highest vacuum. Forget about what the AFR meter says....

When you change n/s seat, you change the float level. Nominal float level on Edel carbs is 7/16" with the factory n/seats & 5 psi fuel pressure. Change the FP &/or n/s size, & float level needs to be adjusted. Use 5 psi & increase the float level from 7/16" to 15/32" if you are using larger n/s.
Expect a rich mixture on decel because you have the highest vacuum. Forget about what the AFR meter says....
This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!!

number 63 drill bit measures .0370 and area in square inches of .00107. number 62 drill bit measures .0380 and area in square inches of .00113. The increase in square inches results a fuel flow increase of 5.60 percent.

Last edited:
number 63 drill bit measures .0370 and area in square inches of .00107. number 62 drill bit measures .0380 and area in square inches of .00113. The increase in square inches results a fuel flow increase of 5.60 percent.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...r_4(1).jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]

carter_4(1).jpg
[/URL]

Night and day difference driveability, sure don't feel like 5.6%. I'm guessing those bleeds are operating all time since my cruise afr got fatter

-
Back