AFB carb kit

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I need to get a rebuild kit for the Carter AFB carburetor that is on my 340. Is there anyone out there that can recommend a kit that is reasonably priced and where to get it? I was also wondering if this something that I should do on my own? I would consider myself pretty handy with tools but I've never completely taken apart a carb before. Any comments or advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Rich

Got mine at autozone, take the number off the front of he carb, down at the base. You need to soak the carb in cleaner, you will have to have another bigger container for the cleaner as the carb won't fit in the cleaner can,wash off with water then blow dry all passages with compressor. Take your time and study the exploded parts picture in the kit before you start. Scrape off all old gasket material before soaking. Make sure you have the correct accelerator pump before you open the kit. They won't take them back after opening. If you want to change jets or metering rods/springs this is the time to do it.
Hope this helps Bruce

I have a vintage 1966' Carter AFB 4131s.

I did some google searches, and all I can decipher is that it came from a 66' Chrysler.

I already knew that.

Can anyone tell me the CFM and if/how I can rejet it for a Mild 318?

My AFB is 4295 for 67 273. The kit I purchased covered several similar carbs and while the seats were the same length as the origials the needles were longer (or shorter, I forget) than the originals. Anyway... there was some creative bending needed to get the float arms right and I had to trim the slosh baffles just a tad also.
Other than that it's pretty straight forward. LOL
If you should install the 'S' link backward you'll know it because the accelerater pump shaft will not travel up and down as it should.

I have a vintage 1966' Carter AFB 4131s.

I did some google searches, and all I can decipher is that it came from a 66' Chrysler.

I already knew that.

Can anyone tell me the CFM and if/how I can rejet it for a Mild 318?

66 383/AT

That's what I have in my data.

The 4131S I have came off a 66' Chrysler T&C 440/727.

I still have the car, engine, and transmission.

Would ordering a kit for a 4295, transform the AFB into a compatible carb for a Mild 318?

No. The rebuild kit may be the same for both carbs. It wont chage jetting ro transform any charactorists. A big block carb might work well on a 318 bumped with a mild cam etc...
The secondary in these carbs is a vacuum versus counter weight design so it really is a gamble. Those carb experts have experimented with altering the counter weights but thats beyond me.

-
Back