AFB parts source?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
looking for 2 parts for a Carter AFB 9626. those were aftermarket 4 bbl with Mopar linkage.
need a choke dial and a thread in fuel line nipple.

Try Mike's Carb Parts, carburetor-parts.com I've gotten lots of AFB parts from them. They're just down the road from me, but they mostly do online orders.

I thought the 9000 series AFBs were all aftermarket?
I remember buying a few (forgot which) either 9626 or 9636s about 20 years ago.
I dug out my S&A book on these carbs by Dave Emanuel and that's what it says
Ending in 0 or 5 was GM application ending in 1 or 6 is Mopar and carb number ending in 2 or 7 was the same carb again only with a ford throttle linkage setup.
I can see where they would have possibly had a "target engine" to calibrate towards a typical customer who would buy a certain carb.
One thing I noticed a little weird between the 9511 I have here and the 9626 I have here, is that the butterflies seem to be the same size in both, so how can one only be rated at 500 and the other as a 625?
The guy I got the 9511 from claimed he was getting high 20s MPG out of it mounted on a 360 in a van

The original 9625 Carter was made by Carter & sold for a few years. Made 17 hp more than a POS Holley on a 350 Chev & used less fuel doing it.
At some later point Federal Mogul bought Carter & expanded the 9XXX line.

I think you will find the 9511 has smaller sec venturiis, hence the flow difference.

Same as Edelbrock. No shortage on parts.

I thought the 9000 series AFBs were all aftermarket?
I remember buying a few (forgot which) either 9626 or 9636s about 20 years ago.
I dug out my S&A book on these carbs by Dave Emanuel and that's what it says
Ending in 0 or 5 was GM application ending in 1 or 6 is Mopar and carb number ending in 2 or 7 was the same carb again only with a ford throttle linkage setup.
I can see where they would have possibly had a "target engine" to calibrate towards a typical customer who would buy a certain carb.
One thing I noticed a little weird between the 9511 I have here and the 9626 I have here, is that the butterflies seem to be the same size in both, so how can one only be rated at 500 and the other as a 625?

They were aftermarket carbs, but "calibrated" for certain engines, certain years, and emission levels. I also noticed that the smaller cfm carbs just had thicker venturis and the same throttle blades.

I've heard before about the idea of the other carb I have here, being engineered originally to basically match the original specs for the 71 383, (cool that it was initially geared toward Mopar as I'm tired of most thinking we all live in the Chevy world")
Does anyone know similar information on what engine combo a 9511 would have been Designed towards? I'm looking at either this 9511, or one of a couple of TQs that I also have, as a replacement for the Holley 2280 on a 78 318. I think I have mentioned the car and other intended add ons to coincide with deleting lean burn on this car.

The 1 and the 6 endings were Chrysler non EGR and EGR. Same on down the line ie Ford and Chevy. The 500 Edel had necked down primary venturis. IIRC there were venturi sleeves that made a 625 a 500.

-
Back