AFR tuning tips

-

68 barracuda 68

Reaction score
I just bought inovate motorsport dual AFR, my carb is 950 holley with no power valve on secondary. try to learn about carb tunning and AFR. The use is for 1/8 mile racing.
Need tips and good links

Last edited:
Use the Wideband O2 gage as a reference. When you make a carb or any other engine change, note the effect on the wideband output.
Innovate's products react quickly which is good, but also means it is helpful to log or video with rpm.

For wide open throttle, make changes to the carb for as flat an AFR line as possible. For launch and shift recovery, use the data as reference for any changes you make.

AFR relationships to load for best efficiency.
Wideband

Two posts with examples of using AFR during Dyno Tuning.
post #49 has three pulls showing how timing changes can effect the Wideband's interpretation. Even though its false AFR change, its still important to record and note since whatever it is will be our baseline for carb changes we make later.
post #50 shows a carb with a good primary calibration but incorrect secondary calibration.
Need Opinions. Have nothing to compare to.

If you can do some carb tuning on the dyno in top gear, that can be used to get the AFR flat at max load using 3rd or 4th gear through the horsepower peak. Then jet for best ET or mph at the strip.

Carb Tuning.
Basic Principles:
Books. Urich & Fisher, Holley Carburetors and Manifolds. HP Books (find an older used copy), or David Vizard's current book has more advanced stuff but just be cautious about following his advice which is often project specific or missing some details. Don't ask how I know this.

On-line. Carburetion Fundamentals & Facts (Session 273) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

Holley type Carb adjustments, modifications, and tuning for Racing:
racingfuelsystems - Stickies

First step will be to measure each restriction present, along with the thottle positions, pump cam and shooters.
Here's an XLS example sheet. Holley Carb Sheet

Nice example posted by a hot rodder here:
Mild Ford 289 Tune | '37 Pickup Cruiser

first off
Mattax thanks! there is a lot of good info there.

I have the same Innovate motorsport AFR but, mine is single channel.
I couldn't get it to work vary well at all, had the controler reflashed/updated flash. had a longer bung welded in but it would only work one or two times and then it would not heat up enuff to take a reading.
Frustrated i threw it on the passenger seat were it set that hole season of racing.
That winter i had to pull the eng for a coolant leak. the bung was welded in the collector of my header. what i notes was that the hole was torched to small, and the o2 sensor was being crushed slightly. It was crushing the tip of the o2 sensor but not enough to notice. got my bur out and cleaned up/straightened up the hole.
So, i broke down and bought another o2 sensor and installed it(.I had killed 5 before i gave up) it worked flawlessly!

Looking forward to doing some o2 recorded runs this year!!!!!
Which is why i bought this one in the first place. Didn't want to try and keep a eye on my tach, shift light and a o2 meter going down the track.

Just a fyi for someone who may have a similar problem.
Thanks again Mattax. I'm going to have to re read all of them links again before i start using my LM-2

-
Back