After a 5 year hiatus..

-

Scampin

Reaction score
Finally think I am ready to hit the track again with her. Plan to go up Wednesday and just get a couple hits on it. Feels like it was a lifetime ago I loaded it up. Really wish I had a log book of different things to remember with it.
She's got new valve springs, a different thermoquad, rebuilt transmission with a different valve body, new vacuum pump setup. Have a different ignition system to try but didn't want to change too many things without getting a baseline. Wish me luck. Lol

IMG_20210613_174354740_HDR.jpg

Looks too nice for the track! Have fun!!

What is your setup and what is your hopeful ET?

I just don't know if traction with the polyglass tires will be there on a street night. It's a stroker small block 340 that I run in the F.A.S.T. class with. If it goes anywhere near/in 10's I will be happy. It's been so long I feel like I am starting from scratch.

I love the stock appearing...Full Boogie cars. :thumbsup:

It really is unbelievable what you guys do with those FAST cars. Beautiful car.

Well thanks guys. I don't think ten's will be easy though, hopefully I am wrong. When figuring out how to get the thermoquad to flow enough fuel for the motor on Q16 she did 11 consecutive 11.0 passes in a row... At three different tracks from Michigan to Ny.
This is a different carb that I tried a couple different things on, so it's either a step in the right direction or wrong. I need to get some runs under the belt just to get familiar with it again.

That class is so cool I can see why it's becoming so popular.and it seems small block mopars can be pretty competitive.

Well thanks guys. I don't think ten's will be easy though, hopefully I am wrong. When figuring out how to get the thermoquad to flow enough fuel for the motor on Q16 she did 11 consecutive 11.0 passes in a row... At three different tracks from Michigan to Ny.
This is a different carb that I tried a couple different things on, so it's either a step in the right direction or wrong. I need to get some runs under the belt just to get familiar with it again.

Do class rules limit you to VP fuels only? There may be another fuel that would be easier to get into the TQ. That’s a big limiting factor on those carbs.

Do class rules limit you to VP fuels only? There may be another fuel that would be easier to get into the TQ. That’s a big limiting factor on those carbs.

No specific rule on fuel except it has to be gas based. My local track is a VP dealer.
Also I don't think it's a surprise, the engine in the car is severely air restricted, on the intake and exhaust side, Q16 is oxygenated and it picked up quite a bit with it. Would love to try C45 or C85, but I don't think I can get the thermoquad to flow enough for it to work. If anyone knows a fuel they think will work better, I am all ears... The Q16 eats everything, including the epoxies in the carb!

I just don't know if traction with the polyglass tires will be there on a street night. It's a stroker small block 340 that I run in the F.A.S.T. class with. If it goes anywhere near/in 10's I will be happy. It's been so long I feel like I am starting from scratch.
Love the FAST class! Man I wish that racing would have caught on out here on the left coast. I’ve always assumed that ‘track prep’ is critical for you guys, it’ll be interesting. As far as your Thermoquad issues, I wonder what the Stock Eliminator guys are doing with their ‘quads, or maybe that’s a completely different setup? Anyway, Good luck!

No ten's tonight. Not sure if the track was that bad or the tires are getting old, combination of both, but didn't have good traction. Didn't break anything so that's good. First pass it cleaned out some cobwebs to a 1.82 60' 11.45 @119, second pass made a shock and tire pressure change, got alittle more aggressive and it blew the tires off to the point I had to lift and get back in it 1.81 60' 11.36 @ 120.6. Changed the shocks again, track got oiled down so we sat and it cooled down some, shifted a touch higher rpm, 1.76 60' 11.22 @122.6. Put it in the trailer and took it home. Tires are 7yrs old now, going to get a new set, check things over and get it back out.

IMG_20210616_193157587_HDR.jpg

All of us members are in awe of your runs. I have an extra 2 wheel wheelbarrow for carrying your stainless steel gonads. If you need any of my old parts, just ask. Fast, beautiful car. I'm building my '70 Swinger 340 to be like yours. An old ,grey muzzled wolf among today's soap shaped econoboxes. I still love that iconic grill. Paul.

-
Back