After much consideration I decided to pull the trigger

-

Korican

Newb
Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster, came with a 76-79 318 V8 so I might be lucky to have 120'ish hp and that is a maybe to the wheels with the 904 tranny.

I looked into swapping the motor, considering MRL Performance because they seem to do excellent motor building and is a active respected member on this board. I also considered motors from Carolina Machine Engines because they are close and pricing seems good for what you would be getting. Either motor builder I would replace the transmission with a Silver Sport Transmission (formally known as keisler Engineering) for their 4-speed or even their 6-speed manual transmissions.

Even reached out to RustyRatRod with considering to just reman the existing engine/tranny to which I appreciate his time and knowledge.

So with any of these considerations I wanted a reliable driver that would be more fuel efficient than what I am getting now and not too much with being worried about making lots of HP.

Well while looking into the Silver Sport Transmissions I found a local shop that is a authorized vendor called Bulldawg Musclecars. Checking their Facebook and website I came across their 70 Barracuda build where the owner was going to put a 5.7 Hemi with 5 speed auto transmission and they did the EFI conversation. But then the owner changed his mind and decided to use a V10 Viper motor with 6 speed transmission.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bulldawg-Musclecars/249344929411

Please check out their Facebook page for updates on my swap.

This got me interested since I was considering with which ever motor swap I would do EFI at some point so it was going to happen anyway.

I didn't at first want to do a Gen III Hemi swap, considering finding a motor/trans combined is around 3-6 grand'ish on what you can find. So I started looking into late model 5.9 Magnum motors/trans out of the trucks since I would get a good boost in power/trq but also they are super cheap with being around $500 or so for a motor/trans.

Contacted Bulldawg, but couldn't wait to hear back if they would be interested in doing the Magnum swap and I decided to keep the 318 since it is a solid running motor.

I made a trip to Summit. Got a new Edelbrock carb 600, new Edelbrock intake manifold, hotter Edelbrock cam/valves/lifters/springs, and Edelbrock timing chain in hopes to make some gains to help pep up the 318.

Ended up taking the Duster with this stuff up to Bulldawg the same day, talked with the owner about the original Magnum swap and all in all decided to return all that stuff to pursue the EFI late model swap.

After a lot of searching I decided on a 6.1 Hemi and 5 speed auto from a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT 8 because it wasn't that much more than the 5.7 Hemi's I was finding online that is supposed to ship this Monday.

So not what I was initially planning but I am looking forward to it :D

Getting it running and on the road will be more challenging than an old school LA engine, but far more rewarding. You're going to love it...

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

Ah, that's your car Joe is posting pics of. Cool!!

Korican came along at just the right time with this project! I am working on a book on Gen3 Hemi swaps for Cartech/SA Design, and really wanted to do a power steering A-body in my shop, since I figured of all the vehicles to do the swap in, this one would offer the most challenges. In comparison, the '70 'Cuda swap we were doing was a walk in the park. I wanted to show a swap from start to finish, with all the details, part numbers, costs etc. listed, in a popular body style. I'm also covering lots of other swaps, including some I shot on last year's Power Tour, and some owned by members here, along with some done by other shops. There will also be some coverage of my son's '72 Gremlin "X" project, with a 5.7/T56, to demonstrate a swap that isn't a bolt in. If anyone wants to keep up on Facebook, this is my page:

Korican came along at just the right time with this project! I am working on a book on Gen3 Hemi swaps for Cartech/SA Design, and really wanted to do a power steering A-body in my shop, since I figured of all the vehicles to do the swap in, this one would offer the most challenges. In comparison, the '70 'Cuda swap we were doing was a walk in the park. I wanted to show a swap from start to finish, with all the details, part numbers, costs etc. listed, in a popular body style. I'm also covering lots of other swaps, including some I shot on last year's Power Tour, and some owned by members here, along with some done by other shops. There will also be some coverage of my son's '72 Gremlin "X" project, with a 5.7/T56, to demonstrate a swap that isn't a bolt in. If anyone wants to keep up on Facebook, this is my page:
Looking forward to getting hold of that book! Any idea when it will be available?

Joe-
You mentioned an A body power steering swap. I've done it with both the factory power steering box with headers I made (very tight), and the Borgeson power steering box with TTI headers (first jig set didn't fit as well as the second drivers side they made- they changed the jig due to my notes and pictures).
I'll be happy to share info and pics as you need them.
Wade Koehl (also on FB group).

..............After a lot of searching I decided on a 6.1 Hemi and 5 speed auto from a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT 8 because it wasn't that much more than the 5.7 Hemi's I was finding online that is supposed to ship this Monday.................. :D

You lost me, here. Just who, where, how, and how much did you get this engine?

The local yards here want REAL big bux for anything hemi

You lost me, here. Just who, where, how, and how much did you get this engine?

The local yards here want REAL big bux for anything hemi

I had to do quite a bit of searching in the interwebs... I found the motor and trans (came with Nag1) on eBay for $6,000 and I think a few hundred dollars for shipping. Granted the Nag1 was swapped for a 545FE.

11010974_10153124345489412_9180253348538225004_n.jpg

Well it took about three years but she is together and running. First shop (Joe Hinds of former Bulldawg Musclecars that closed down leaving numerous people "out in the cold") had the car for 26 months and I paid for a finished running car (meaning I didn't pay invoices without at least seeing work done however getting near the end it was paid up for a running/painted car). Yet in the end it was a nightmare and I ended up with a incomplete non-running car. Also the car was never a "show car" but it looked pretty good. The Duster was damaged while at the first shop, and this shop stated they would take care of the repair/paint then turned into a full exterior respray, but because they shut down the Duster never got that paint I was owed as well as not actually being complete/running. Here was a thread that turned a little ugly with another customer that ended up very unhappy...

New Guy from Georgia

I was lucky enough to have already found another shop to take my Duster to when I started hitting issues with the first shop.

I ended up going to Mike Staveski who has been in business since the mid 90's. Now his business names have changed over the years but seems they have always been located in Hudson Florida (with just expanding over the years) with the current business being called LexiJ/RMR Dreamcars (was Time Machines, Detroit Muscle, think there was another one, and works with Mr. Norms I think still today). If you look him up there are many articles and videos out there showing their work over the years.

Mike and his crew got my Duster running. Got my Duster painted, and I got it home yesterday!

IMG_0023_1024.jpg

IMG_0025_1024.jpg

IMG_0042_1024.jpg

thumb_10472691_10153371947784412_3683755279304735638_n_1024.jpg

thumb_11659481_10153124345314412_5513769626341374515_n_1024.jpg

thumb_12742484_10153575715774412_4876973278134800007_n_1024.jpg

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG