After storage oil change

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
When would you change oil & filter after winter storage in the Northeast. Before or after startup. It's a 360 that been in storage and last started in mid Nov. Unheated garage.
Thanks 8)

Will be interesting to see what the replyssss are.Me I change my oil in the fall just before I park her.when I am back on the road in April I just drive for 4 weeks than change even then I think I just throw money out the door.What happens to a car that sits on a car lot all winter than is sold they don't always change that oil for the sale.Ok someone call me an idiot.Did that for 35 years with no engine problimsssss=P~

i had mine out a few times then changed the oil. i drove it around to get the oil/filter and plugs. i figure its best to get it nice and warm and circulated before changing it.

Will be interesting to see what the replyssss are.Me I change my oil in the fall just before I park her.when I am back on the road in April I just drive for 4 weeks than change even then I think I just throw money out the door.What happens to a car that sits on a car lot all winter than is sold they don't always change that oil for the sale.Ok someone call me an idiot.Did that for 35 years with no engine problimsssss

lol. everyone has their own thing when it comes to this. me i let it sit during the winter ( i start it once or twice a month and get it nice and warm) then in the spring i'll take the car for a nice ride to get everything all nic eand warm then i'll change the oil. never had any problems doing it that way. but hey everyone had their thing..:)

.........I change b 4 storage.....start it a 1ce a month, warmed up good...change again when out of storage.....kim.........

I always use a high mileage oil when storing my cars over winter.
I change the oil and go beat the hell out of it and then store it.
I pour marvel mystery oil down the carb, making the engine smoke real good and then shut her off.

Now all the valves and cylinders have marvel all over them to control any kind of rust problems over the winter.

This also helps in the spring for cranking the engine before starting the car.
I never just start the car.
I always crank it so the oil gets where it needs to be first,after sitting a long time,then i give it some gas to start.

I am some what an oil nut, as far as it being clean.
I use some of the cheaper stuff and never let it get dark.

It's funny that were are talking about this because I am going to start the cars today.
It's starting to warm up outside and i hear the birds singing all the time now......................:-D

I drive mine all winter then change it before storing it in the summer. I don't have AC
:)

ps. I also use premium gas before storing it.
I have also heard that it is best to fill up at a marina because they don't put alcohol in boat gas. but that is just a rummer

I have also heard that it is best to fill up at a marina because they don't put alcohol in boat gas. but that is just a rummer

yea not too sure about that one. i know my buddy is constantly changing water separators on his boat with the newer gas he gets at the marina. he always has 2 or 3 extra with him every time he takes his boat out.

Its still the dark days of winter up here in Michigan. The nice weather is just 500 miles south. Always takes 3-4 more weeks.

I store my car just 3 months. Early Dec to Early March. I changed the oil 3 weeks before it went in and I was only driving on nice days so like 2 tanks of gas. I will change it for peace of mind after the 30 min drive home.

I use Valvoline NSL 10W-30 is in it and 20W-50 will be going back in. Once home it might sit in the garage for 2 weeks, when ever 50 degrees and no rain happens.

Old school was 3 months or 3,000 miles for oil changes. Even if you drove it only 1,000 miles in 3 months it was oil change time.

yea not too sure about that one. i know my buddy is constantly changing water separators on his boat with the newer gas he gets at the marina. he always has 2 or 3 extra with him every time he takes his boat out.

It's not really the water, it's the dam ethanol in it.

Think of all the moisture in the air that flows in and out of the engine during the winter storage.
Would you pour a couple of cups of water in your engine?

Drain it out before starting and use it in your lawn mower.

Mine gets changed in the spring asap, It drives from the garage to the barn or to the local shop and i change it. I do an actual lube, oil, filter. Grease the chassis components, steering, drive shaft, then 7 quarts of 5-40 rotella t-6 and a fresh mopar filter.

I know when i parked my car there was no water in the oil. When i go out there in spring, i can pop a cover off and you can see all the condensation. Everytime the garage door goes up there goes the heat, now its 40 degrees in there, right about dew point.

-
Back