Aftermarket Dash/Gauge Insert

-

LJS30

Reaction score
What companies make a more updated and modified complete dash for Mopars? I like the looks of this one, but I know there has to be more out there. Has anyone gone away from resto and more towards a street mod type of setup?

NewCluster01.jpg

Redline gauges makes a few: http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp
They make a nice A body insert the you can mount after market gauges into.
Rocky mountain dashes are nice,,,, But pricey I haven't found much else out there.

Heres one guys homemade dash. just scroll down on the page :
http://tiresmoke.iwarp.com/Duster.html

Hopes this helps,Paul

Yes, they are pretty pricey indeed. However I am really tired of my gauges. I really want some nice, bright, more modern gauges for this ride.

I bought a 1972 Valiant dash for my 1970 Dart.The reason for the newer dash is two fold.One is the bigger opening.Two to save the original dash.My dad and myself are going to fab up a Cluster and Radio piece out of steel or aluminum sheet metal.The plan is to use Auto meter gages and a new Radio.Pictures will be posted when complete.

How much for that setup? I am in the middle of installing a new wiring harness(Ron Francis) and would love a new more user friendly setup.

I just got off the phone with Mike at Rocky Mountain Dashes. I will be ordering me a new dash from him as they look to be a pretty straightforward setup. Should make it easier for my new wiring installation. One question, will an Autometer fuel gauge work with my stock sending unit?

Evildrken, the first picture of the thread looks like a rocky dash. There expensive. :angry7: Sucks.

ace26; ya bay. show be the back side! What that run ya? Minus gauges.

This is the cluster only from Rocky Mountain.It was a little expensive,the design doesn't look to hard you could make one yourself preaty easy if ya had the materials and a welder this one was 400 something $$.

IMG_0148.jpg

Hey Ramcharger, I like your dash! I came *this close...* to buying a Rocky Mountain dash like the one at the top for my money pit, then thought twice about the additional $700-800 for that little foray, between the gauges and the dash itself.

Diamond plate rocks Dude! NICE job!

Hey John, you ain't kidding. Between the dash and gauges, it's a pricey thing.

John and Thrash,

Thanks for the compliments! I was shooting for a "retro late 60's heavy duty truck" look if there is such a thing. LOL! The major cost was the gauges. I picked up the diamond plate from a local metal shop that a did some work for. It just cost me a 12 of Bud. I made my own templates and cut out the panel with a jig saw. The holes were cut with Milwaukee hole saws in a drill press. I laid out the gauge holes with a venier caliper, compass and some trig I remembered from back in college. Lots of time was spent smoothing out the edges and polishing with Mothers and a powerball. The trim was cut with a huge *** sheet metal shear at another local metal shop. The stainless button head screws I got from the local hardware store. So regarding costs, it breaks down like this:

Alum diamond plate: 12 pack Bud
22 Stainless allen button head screws #10: $24 (not cheap!)
Speedo: $125
Tach: $99
Fuel Gauge: $35
Volt Meter: $35
Water Temp Gauge: $35
Oil Pressure Gauge: $35
Trans Temp Gauge: $35
Speedo Sender: About $60

All prices are aprroximate (what I can remember, which aint much these days! LOL)

I just got it installed last night, here's some pics:

P8170857.JPG

P8170863.JPG

Hey Ace, How did your dash and gauge install go, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. Also can you give me the part numbers for the gauges you bought they look great!
Tks

It is much easier to make an early 70's truck dash than an a-body dash because the truck dash is flat and the a-body dash has an angle to it. It's not impossible but not like cutting out a flat piece. If you guys haven't noticed yet Ramchargers dash is a truck dash not a-body.

Chuck

It went preaty good,took a few hours longer than i thought but nothing major had to do just a bit of trimming to get it to go in right but nothing major maybe a 1/4 to a half inch trimmed in a couple of places.i'll snap a few pics this weekend if i don't forget.The gauges are just autometer phantom gauges i got a mechan oil gauge,there much more accurate, and the fuel gauage is the ford/mopar gauge.

This is what i ended up with i think it turned out preaty nice.Sorry kinda crapy pics it was dark out.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

-
Back