Aftermarket Electric Speedometer?

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I currently have a Auto Meter mechanical speedo in my dash that is not yet hooked up. I can get a cable made for $40. My problem is going to be routing the cable past my 383/727 with TTI headers. I was looking at the electric speedo's and the sending units. It looks like a very simple mechanically driven pulser that sends a signal to the speedo. Anyone use one of these? I like the idea of not having the cable and just running a few wires.

we run stock cluster and stock cable with a hemi and 3.5 collectors... if your really worried about it but a sheath over it. just make sure its routed correctly.

Attachments

• purple dart 005.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 486
I have an Autometer electric speedo in my car. I installed the sender where the driven gear would go, ran a ground to the crossmember bolt, and a single wire back up along the firewall to the speedo. I calibrated it with my phone's gps. It works so nicely, I can't even tell you. I have 4.10 gears and a GM transmission, different tires, etc... My old speedo showed 30-40 mph off. This thing only cares about distance traveled. It is deadly accurate.

I have an Autometer electric speedo in my car. I installed the sender where the driven gear would go, ran a ground to the crossmember bolt, and a single wire back up along the firewall to the speedo. I calibrated it with my phone's gps. It works so nicely, I can't even tell you. I have 4.10 gears and a GM transmission, different tires, etc... My old speedo showed 30-40 mph off. This thing only cares about distance traveled. It is deadly accurate.

I read the install directions for the speedo meter and it looks like you can reprogram it to any tire/gear combo just by the push of a button and a small measured 2 mile distance. you have sold me on it. I think this is the route im going to go.

Also have an Autometer electric speedo. I routed the wiring along the same path as the old cable inside a Thermo-Tec sleeve. Added a connector for service. Calibration is very easy with mile markers.

that and you dont have to find the perfect speedo gear for your tire size and gear ratio. the way i look at it is that the hall sensor is about the price of 2 speedo drive gears. I like the idea of it being calibrated to your combo.

I can tell you the electronic speedo is particular about it's power source. It's basically like a little computer that "boots" every time you start the car. I initially had it wired into the original dash harness, supplying power to all the gauges. However, this caused a supply voltage problem to the speedo while cranking and it would intermittently "lock-up" and not function. The solution was to tap into one of the switched accessory circuits at the fuse box. It's not a fault of the speedo, just something to be aware of.

I can tell you the electronic speedo is particular about it's power source. It's basically like a little computer that "boots" every time you start the car. I initially had it wired into the original dash harness, supplying power to all the gauges. However, this caused a supply voltage problem to the speedo while cranking and it would intermittently "lock-up" and not function. The solution was to tap into one of the switched accessory circuits at the fuse box. It's not a fault of the speedo, just something to be aware of.

thank you for the heads up. I have rewired the entire car with a painless kit. I have an extra accessory wire that is a switched hot that will be used for this. I will be ordering the parts on payday and will post the install step by step.

I read the install directions for the speedo meter and it looks like you can reprogram it to any tire/gear combo just by the push of a button and a small measured 2 mile distance. you have sold me on it. I think this is the route im going to go.

That is exactly how you do it. I used my phone for the exact two miles, but they also recommend using the highway mileage markers.

try an autometer #5289 - universal gps speedo interface module . I have used them , this is the latest greatest trickest thing out !

Autometer electric speedo on the bike. Works great, no troubles what-so-ever.....Had a Dakota Digital before it, what a pile-o-crap....

Gotcha, on a wheel or the drive shaft? Are there options?

You replace the driven gear with an electric speed sensor. It goes right where the old cable would go. Ground one wire, run the other to the speedo. Hit your button sequence, drive exactly two miles and hit the button and it is calibrated. Mine works perfectly.

-
Back