aftermarket fuel gauge

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Stock gauge dont work. I have a stock style sending unit. Is there an aftermarket gauge i can put in with little hassle? Recommendations?

Does your factory temp gauge work?
If not you may have other issues beside the gas gauge.

You need to read up on this before spending unnecessary money.

I hooked up the blue wire to the new sending unit. And stock gauge didnt work. I went no farther then that. I could be wrong but seems to me one wire and one gauge. Not much to go wrong

Hi,

It could be a bad instrument voltage regulator and/or burnt out gauges. There are quite a few threads in the electrical section on testing the regulator and gauges. I would do a little troubleshooting first and see what is going on. One quick test is to put a meter or test light between the temperature gauge sending wire and ground. If there is a steady voltage or no voltage there the instrument regulator is likely bad. You should see a pulsing voltage at that point.

As sireland67 said a little reading and testing will save you some money and head aches. It' all part of the old car experience.

If you have the from factory sender, the autometer ford/ chrysler gauge will work. If you have an aftermarket sender of ANY kind. It will not work

I would recommend avoiding an aftermarket sender if at all possible. Many are constructed very differently from the original and are not calibrated at all. They read full at 1/2 tank, and E with 3 gallons left, or something like that. With a narrower range, they cannot be easily adjusted by normal means, such as bending the float arm.

The temp gauge isnt hooked up. Only thing was amp meter and Speedo which all it does is bounce all over

I have Speedhut gauges in my car. The fuel gauge is programmable using your stock sending unit.

http://www.speedhut.com/

As for the bouncing speedo, take the cable off and spray it down with a good penetrating oil. Im sure its sticky inside and just needs to be lubed up.

I have the autometer chrysler ford 73-10 ohms for sale if interested. Its an autometer phantom one

Most gages mount below the dash, if that is OK. Many today are electronic and selectible for GM, Ford, or Mopar resistance ranges. I would do more trouble-shooting first or you may get frustrated. Many posts on fuel gage problems.

Stock gauge dont work. I have a stock style sending unit. Is there an aftermarket gauge i can put in with little hassle? Recommendations?

Josh, ground the wire that goes to the sending unit back by the tank, to a good ground. Turn on your ignition switch and see if it doesn't spike to full, and turn the key off quickly.

If it does, your gauge is good.

-
Back