Aftermarket fuel gauge

-
I installed Speedhut gauges, and the Gas Gauge uses the stock (aftermarket) sender.

I manually calibrated the gauge to the sender so that "F" is full, and "E" means 10 litres left in the tank.

This gauge is dead bang on accurate at virtually any spot between F and E. Easily the most accurate Gas gauge I've ever had in any vehicle.
20190613_115259.jpg

Chrysler uses a 70-30 ohm gauge/sending unit. When looking for a gauge check the ohms for the gauge to match the Chrysler sending unit. You will find loads of the GM style that I think are 0-60 ohms. Good luck with you search.

Chrysler uses a 70-30 ohm gauge/sending unit. When looking for a gauge check the ohms for the gauge to match the Chrysler sending unit. You will find loads of the GM style that I think are 0-60 ohms. Good luck with you search.
Wrong, all of Chryslers gauges and senders operate on 80-10 ohms range. The problem we run into is the aftermarkets replacement fuel senders. Although correct at 80-10 range, they are linear so they don't work right with the OEM gauge. So if you do use one of those senders, you'll need the addon Meter Match unit to calibrate the OEM gauge to it or aftermarket gauge that can be calibrated to it. Good luck

I also use the Equus 7361 fuel gage in my 66 B-Cuda, and it works perfect with the stock mopar sender. I made a whole set of dash gages around the 7000 series gages. They fit perfect in my dash.
The whole dash is LEDs, as is the rest of the B-Cuda
Dave

20190613_183415.jpg

20180923_171537.jpg

20180923_170754 (640x360).jpg

I looked up what the 1969 factory service manual had to say for Ohm readings.
Empty Stop= 73 ohms + or - 12.0 ohms
Full Stop= 9.6 ohms + or - 1 ohm. If the ohm meter has a error of more than 1 in 10 ohms a accurate value cannot be obtained.
A 64 manual and a 66 manual more or less said the same thing,just worded different.

Wrong, all of Chryslers gauges and senders operate on 80-10 ohms range. The problem we run into is the aftermarkets replacement fuel senders. Although correct at 80-10 range, they are linear so they don't work right with the OEM gauge. So if you do use one of those senders, you'll need the addon Meter Match unit to calibrate the OEM gauge to it or aftermarket gauge that can be calibrated to it. Good luck
Wrong.

Would

would
i need to calibrate it
You should not. They are calibrated for 73 ohms to 10 ohms full to empty. The only thing is, if you have a replacement sending unit, it will not be linear. The first 1/2 tank or more will drop quickly on the gauge because of the indent in the tank for the spare tire well. Apparently you can get devices to fox this, but I don't worry about it. I know that's how it reads, so I take that into account.

Cley

You should not. They are calibrated for 73 ohms to 10 ohms full to empty. The only thing is, if you have a replacement sending unit, it will not be linear. The first 1/2 tank or more will drop quickly on the gauge because of the indent in the tank for the spare tire well. Apparently you can get devices to fox this, but I don't worry about it. I know that's how it reads, so I take that into account.

Cley
Thanks everyone just orderd it from summit

Redfish generally knows WTF he is talking about. He at one time made a business of restoring these gauge components. The Big Red Print does not impress me, nor does your response.

Redfish generally knows WTF he is talking about. He at one time made a business of restoring these gauge components. The Big Red Print does not impress me, nor does your response.
Do you think that worries me?
Giving the wrong advice to people and claiming to be an expert doesn't impress me either.
Your response is negated as a result.

Too many of you guys have been allowed to run all over people on this forum for too long, and you think you have the right to adjust the rules to your own liking. Well, that time is over. Stick to your political forum and don't stir up the waters here.

Do you think that worries me?
Giving the wrong advice to people and claiming to be an expert doesn't impress me either.
Your response is negated as a result.

Too many of you guys have been allowed to run all over people on this forum for too long, and you think you have the right to adjust the rules to your own liking. Well, that time is over. Stick to your political forum and don't stir up the waters here.
Don't you threaten me. Redfish is probably THE expert on clusters and dashes. JUST EXACTLY what did he say that was "wrong?"

INSTEAD OF EXPLAINING YOURSELF you just turned into a >>>>

If you are going to go around here announcing "wrong" you'd BETTER be able to factually prove yourself. Have at it

Don't you threaten me. Redfish is probably THE expert on clusters and dashes. JUST EXACTLY what did he say that was "wrong?"

INSTEAD OF EXPLAINING YOURSELF you just turned into a >>>>

If you are going to go around here announcing "wrong" you'd BETTER be able to factually prove yourself. Have at it
So it's OK for your know-it-all expert to say wrong, but not me? I have done this modification and I know what is right.

1720670566708.png

I didn't threaten you - that is all in your head. No wonder Steve from Staten Island didn't like you. :lol:

So it's OK for your know-it-all expert to say wrong, but not me? I have done this modification and I know what is right.

View attachment 1716274588

I didn't threaten you - that is all in your head. No wonder Steve from Staten Island didn't like you. :lol:
You still haven't explained what is allegedly "wrong". WTF is Steve from Staten Island. And you DID threaten me.

THIS is a THREAT

"Too many of you guys have been allowed to run all over people on this forum for too long, and you think you have the right to adjust the rules to your own liking. Well, that time is over. Stick to your political forum and don't stir up the waters here."

When Redfish used the word "wrong" HE EXPLAINED his position. You STILL HAVE NOT.

"I have done this modification?" WELL? AND??

Help a brother out here. I see "linear" thrown around a lot referring to gauges sometimes. I "assume" that to mean that as the (lets say float arm on a fuel sender) moves from one extreme to another, that the resistance reading does not coincide with how the arm moves. So I guess if the Chrysler units are "non linear" I guess that means the sender would move the needle "more" or less" in different places of travel. Am I think right on that?

Help a brother out here. I see "linear" thrown around a lot referring to gauges sometimes. I "assume" that to mean that as the (lets say float arm on a fuel sender) moves from one extreme to another, that the resistance reading does not coincide with how the arm moves. So I guess if the Chrysler units are "non linear" I guess that means the sender would move the needle "more" or less" in different places of travel. Am I think right on that?
Yes. Linear would mean that between the limits of mechanical movement, which correspond with the resistive values for F and E, that a mechanically evenly divided movement would mean an evenly divided increase of resistance, and if the GAUGE response is also linear, then it would be so, as well

Maybe an easier example is older analog electrical meters of most types, like an analog VOM. If you are on a scale of 0-100V, then 50 V is 1/2 scale, and 25 V is 1/4 of the scale, etc.

There WERE electrical meters that were intentionally made non linear, LOL. Such as the old CD (Civil Defense) yellow radiation survey meters. These are essentially a high scale Geiger counter, designed to measure higher levels after "an attack." When "we" were kids starting out in ham radio a couple of us obtained some of these, and tried to use the meters for other purposes, and could NOT figure out why we could get no accuracy LOL

The retired Bird Colonel in the local radio club knew and explained to us.

On an unrelated note, he got to test fly some german aircraft that had been captured in WWII.. Now that he's gone, all that is lost. He never wrote a book.

THIS is a THREAT

"Too many of you guys have been allowed to run all over people on this forum for too long, and you think you have the right to adjust the rules to your own liking. Well, that time is over. Stick to your political forum and don't stir up the waters here."
That is not a threat. That is a statement of position.

I don't make threats. I make promises.

I installed aftermarket gauges in my duster a few years back.
I'm using NVU gauges, they have programmable units utilizing dip-switches. (The fuel gauge is set for 1965-86 Ford/AMC/Chrysler. 73-10)
The TSM I read stated that it was 73 ohms for Empty-STOP and roughly 9.6 ohms for Full-STOP.
80-10 COULD technically work I guess... You'll just have to gas up before it points directly to "E = Everything is okay".

Last edited:
-
Back