aftermarket k members.........again(sorry)

-

Realest

gearhead 4 life
Reaction score
i was reading in my mopar mag that almost all aftermarket k members like alterkations and other are considered race only. said only xv motorsports makes a good streetable version. (i don't see a body k member on their site even)

can anyone fill me in? i hear the alterkation is a great piece...........why would it be a race only application piece?

AlterKtion is a great piece (I own one)....a bunch of guys are running the alterK on the street and I have never heard of a problem here or on bigblockdart. I hear the XV setup is great, but pricey.

It's all for liability reasons, same as any aftermarket brake kits, have the statement of "offroad use only not for highway use" It's a blanket cya thing.

the only reason i ask is because of a write up in the 'tech topic' of Dec 2007 Mopar Action. They go on to state that the weight of the car is supported by only by the shock towers in a coilover set up (once torsion bars are removed). Only strong enough if used with a rollcage which ties the shock towers to the rest of the structure. They also say that the only solidly engineered piece is by XV.
I know some of you will chime in and say don't believe everything in magazines. I myself try not to believe everything...after all a magazine is a marketing tool. It appears as though many of you will have a difference of opinion with this article.

True the Mopar upper shock mounts are no where near strong enough to support the car, but doesn't the Alterktion use it's own upper mount tied to the K-member?

I would like to see one of the mags do a comparison test of some of the aftermarket front ends. Valid statistics like weight (sprung/unsprung), brake availability, motor mount availability, adjustablility, cost, general robustness of design, ease of installation, etc... If there are areas of design which might prove dubious for daily driver use, point them out (yeah, no magazine really wants to bash a product made by a vendor purchasing advertising). We as consumers can then better determine what will suit our needs be it for a race car, all-weather cruiser, or limited use show piece. Vendors can also use this feedback to improve their product.

Ehrenberg at Mopar Action usually tends to be an old schooler and a champion of dialing in the OEM stuff, keeping it simple and not trying to reinvent the wheel. He also drives his cars in New York City in the winter. Face it, the front suspensions of our cars was designed over 45 years ago, and good as it was then, technology has certainly moved forward. I think there is room for both conservatism and innovation in the hobby.

Try looking at our system. The CAP Auto Products design is for street use. The only one that uses factory components and can upgrade in accordance to the level of performance you want. This is a direct bolt is and uses the factoryy torsion bars or a coil over for thosewho have a full cage set up. In any case we have a solution.

Thanks
Ray
www.capautoproducts.com

-
Back