Aftermarket Radio install

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok I have no battery in the Scamp 72'. I trying to get some components installed. What i need is a wire thats hot all the time and hot only when key is on. I have a wiring diagram but no way to test which one is hot and when. Id like to tap into the steering column/ignition switch for the power. Can anyone tell me which wires i might need color wise please?

a wire that is hot all the time would be the one going to the cigar lighter.
a wire that has juice when the key is on would be the original hot wire to the radio, iirc red wire and black wire plug?

If the factory harness is intact, a connector near the radio opening has 2 wires, red is hot from radio fuse when switch is on, orange is illumination. Hot at all times for stereo memory can come from cig lighter well. Probably a pink wire.

If you are going to do this and your factory harness is still intact don't just cut the connector off. You can unplug your factory radio and splice in for your constant wire. I see cars everyday with wires running out of fuse boxes and factory connectors cut out. It's great you're asking questions instead of just cowboying sh*t together

no its all clean, which is why i asked so many cut up a harness, so the cigar lighter is hot all time Which is a pink wire

Attachments

• console2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 383
  • console3.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 375
a wire that is hot all the time would be the one going to the cigar lighter.
a wire that has juice when the key is on would be the original hot wire to the radio, iirc red wire and black wire plug?

John would that plug be a hot and a ground? I could use both ya know.

Before you tape into any wires double check. According to the 72 Valiant wire diagram the wire to the lighter is red. I also have seen them pink up to the lead that goes to the lighter, then it's red from the connector to the lighter itself. The pink should still be hot all the time though. If you can test it to make sure would be a good idea.

Here's alike for 72 Valiant diagram. click on it to enlarge it.
http://www.gomopar.com/downloads/1972/72ValiantB.JPG

The body of the dash supplied ground to most cigar lighters.

I like the center console/enclosure

-
Back