Aftermarket Rods

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so im always looking for things that dont need to be looked for but i started looking at rods!

For 80 bucks each you can buy these 440 source RB 7.1 rods with chevy 2.20 rods ends (easily gotten during offset grind). Now i know each side of the rod is different for crank or mating rod side but could that be easily changed?
http://store.440source.com/SINGLE-H...-8740-Bolts/productinfo/7100.990.2200.8740HA/

here are molnars rods as well down near the bottom for 512 a set.

http://www.molnartechnologies.com/molnar-rods-domestic.html

what do you think?

bump? on the slant crank its one rod per journal vs the 8's two rods per journal, would that "rod" side of the rod be an issue up against the crank?

mind you i still need to find an OA width measurement from the 440 to slant, though being its the same bearing i think its close

I think the slant rods are WAY overpriced. That's what I think. I found this in less than 30 seconds.

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/k1-rods-chrysler.html

yea i think campbell's are around there to now, i was just curious as these are 7.1 vs the 7.005.

as far as i know there have been issues with the K1 stuff as it was stolen and changed (for the worse) from molnar and then he left and is making his own stuff. also the K1 stuff has had some weird issues...

Did it? Or is it all a bunch of internet rumors? I haven't seen or heard or read of any other issues with K1 rods at ALL. I would find it impossible to believe that they would limit issues to the slant six rods. You seen any evidence first hand? I have not.

I don't know if the "rod side" would be an issue on a drag car.
I have a crank turned to Chevy rod size but never went any further.
Will

One of the local guys has a race set made by Pauter. Being that they were around $1k, I'd go with something else. I didn't know of any issues with the K1's. The stock rods are plenty tough IMO...

One of the local guys has a race set made by Pauter. Being that they were around $1k, I'd go with something else. I didn't know of any issues with the K1's. The stock rods are plenty tough IMO...

not for 8 or 9 grand at 15:1, at least not willing to try

I got a set of K1 slant six rods that had shallow lock slots .
If the bearing / rods had been assembled that way there would have been zero main bearing clearance at one side of the bearing shell.
Was ez to fix with a die grinder, but another reason to check parts....

I got a set of K1 slant six rods that had shallow lock slots .
If the bearing / rods had been assembled that way there would have been zero main bearing clearance at one side of the bearing shell.
Was ez to fix with a die grinder, but another reason to check parts....

thanks

not for 8 or 9 grand at 15:1, at least not willing to try

I talked to him today about rods. He only ran the billet rods for one season. He has ran stock 198 rods since 1996 turning 7000rpm at 14:1 compression. But different things work for different people.

I talked to him today about rods. He only ran the billet rods for one season. He has ran stock 198 rods since 1996 turning 7000rpm at 14:1 compression. But different things work for different people.

oh yea im not worried about them NOT holding up, im just looking for some more length... when i pull the trigger i have to figure out if the longer 440 rod is gonna be better for my app.

-
Back