Aftermarket shifter in a stock console?

-

Djakken

Reaction score
The stock shift mechanism sucks and I have some ideas how make it better.
My plans are to use the B&M Hammer 80885, and chop the housing so it fits the stock console.
Has anyone of you out there done this? If so can you post some pics and description of how it was done?
The tranny is a 904 from -76 and the console post -65.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 270
I don't know buddy,but that really looks good!

How bad can it suck? does it not go into gear? What actually sucks about it? It looks really nice.

Ive noticed an ad in the back of just about every mopar magazine for a shift mechanism that replaces the stock one with direct fit, and it turns your stock shifter into a rachet action shifter. Anybody here ever install one?

The mechanism is worn. It's impossible to choose the first gear, now I am able only to use Park, Rear and Drive. And the indicator and chosen gear don´t match.

The mechanism is worn. It's impossible to choose the first gear, now I am able only to use Park, Rear and Drive. And the indicator and chosen gear don´t match.
B&M makes some Good Cable driven replacements but I would try to see what's actually malfunctioning. It could be a simple fix. Does it all work just fine when manually shifting directly at the Trans?? I haven't personally installed this but it looks pretty Sweet. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80701/ Any way here's a bump for you so someone who's done it can chime in.

It sounds like you have worn or missing bushings. If all those parts are good the console placement is the issue and not the shifter. These consoles have 4 screws through slotted holes to allow adjusting.
I think the service manual states the shifter linkage is set up in neutral position. Then the console is aligned and centered to the shifter travel.

You sould only need some bushings to tighten it up. The one on the bracket
that comes offthe tail housing is the one that wears out the worst. If the
linkage from the shifter to the trans is worn. You could wire feed weld the
worn spots or even replace it. The aftermarket has that linkage.
I would not recomend the shifter plater from Duncan Motorsports. I had
it in my stock shifter. It was more of a hassle then it worth.
The stock shifter works very well when set up right.

I started out with a B&M shifter using a cable ,it worked very well. The only problem is the cable is subject to heat and wear and the outside casing will rub as you shift if you don't secure it well enough. i went back to the OEM linkage. Mine was missing pieces on the lower linkage ,replaced it with 5/16 rod from Home Depot. Linkage is pretty simple to work with you just have to play with it a little. Sounds like your lower shift linkage is out of adjustment.Theres a slide nut on the lower push rod ,for adjustments. Even if the bushings are worn it can adjust to work. Your tranny shift finger is positive it dosen't move unless you move it. If indicator is not lining up I would say check your lower horizontal shift bar.

I will go for the B&M shifter. A friend took this picture, will need some adjustment. But I am quite sure that the result will be good.

Attachments

• Shifter console.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 209
-
Back