Aftermarket shifter questions

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Background:

My car is currently a column shift automatic. I have a factory center console/floor shifter, and a floor shift steering column to go in it.

My recently discovered issue is that my 518 will not work with factory A-body floor shifter. Since it was never used in a floor shift vehicle, it is not cast with necessary mount points for the floor shift linkage.

It now appears that I need to go with an aftermarket cable shifter.My questions are:

Who has good/bad input regarding specific shifters?

I would like to still use the factory console, and install the cable shifter in it. Does anyone know of a good way to pull this off??

I am going to use this one in my 74 Duster with the factory console.
I should be ordering it in a couple of weeks, and I hope it goes smoothly.

Ok, dumb observation.

Tell me the Turbo action doesn't ACTUALLY mount on the transmission(??) and that's just for representation purposes.

That would be the first auto-shifter I have ever seen mount on the trans ( I don't know much about aftermarket shifters).

If that's the case, then it definately won't be going in my car. remember I have a 518, not a 727.

It's a quandry for me. I REALLY want a factory center console. BUT I really want it to look right, and if I can't make it look right, I would rather not hack up a good factory console.

-
Back