Aftermarket valve covers and intakes?

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I have some aluminum Mopar valve covers and a Weiand aluminum intake. This combination is not playing well together. Any tips on how to bring them together?
Thanks

I have some aluminum Mopar valve covers and a Weiand aluminum intake. This combination is not playing well together. Any tips on how to bring them together?
Thanks
Gotta set the intake down 1st then install the valve covers.

I'm aware. It needs some grinding which is a last resort, a thicker gasket or a spacer of some sort. I'm just looking for a concensus on what has generally worked best.
Thanks

1710452445166.jpeg

Nothing wrong with a little grinding. Not even noticeable.

I just used two gaskets on each side. It worked for me but I was using Cal Custom valve covers and a Edelbrock street master intake. Not sure if the castings are the same thickness as yours. Bobby

$175 for spacers, plus tax and shipping, throw in 2 sets of gaskets...it's starting to add up.
I think I only paid $100 for the covers. Maybe a little grinding won't hurt.
Thanks

I used felpro 1646 thick cork with a steel shim gaskets 5/16" thick.
Mopar Performance cast aluminum valve covers and a edelbrock air gap.
Fit perfect no grinding required.
Local autozone had them in stock.

I think SCE also has the .313 thick gaskets, I don't remember the part number off the top of my head.

I had to use the spacers on my engine, both the intake and valve covers were powder coated. I didn't want to take a chance and mess up the coating by grinding on either of them, it worked out very well.

Yes that is the exact intake I am using, but for some reason the Mopar Performance valve covers will not sit correctly.
The spacers are too expensive, it would be a tralmost $100 for the Felpro gaskets. I'm having no luck finding the SCE gaskets. I have a spare Felpro gasket to double up with a used one from my stock valve cover and see how that works.

Yes that is the exact intake I am using, but for some reason the Mopar Performance valve covers will not sit correctly.
The spacers are too expensive, it would be a tralmost $100 for the Felpro gaskets. I'm having no luck finding the SCE gaskets. I have a spare Felpro gasket to double up with a used one from my stock valve cover and see how that works.
Felpro VS50184R Valve cover gaskets are what I use. They are a little bit thicker than cork. 0.190 Thickness

Both of these gaskets are .313 thick, FelPro 1646 on Summit is 41.99 and at Rockauto they are 37.79. The SCE AccuSeal E gaskets 169076 from Summit are 27.03. Keep this for future reference. I just used the SCE gaskets, and they worked out well.

I was pulling an intake once, couldn't get it to turn loose. Bopped it with a mallet, pried with a big old bar, nothing. I ended up with a cherry picker hooked to it and the suspension unweighted before I realized the valve covers were holding it on.

I was pulling an intake once, couldn't get it to turn loose. Bopped it with a mallet, pried with a big old bar, nothing. I ended up with a cherry picker hooked to it and the suspension unweighted before I realized the valve covers were holding it on.
They were some tough valve covers...I think small block chevy are similar. you have t pull valve covers on them too

I know the 273 and the 318 valve covers don't have as much of the intake cut out as the 340 and 360 valve covers.

I just used stock 273 valve covers on a 360 with a Holley Strip Dominator. The SCE thick gaskets worked fine, didn't have to do any grinding.

This is almost a story of two tales. The first story ends pretty easily but for the racier type of guys it gets more complicated. The Victor340 and especially the Super Victors have raised runners. So if you are running either of these intakes expect to make adjustments. Now if you desire to run the newer Fab covers that the bolts come down through the covers this is the worst case because the intake sits higher and the valve covers are wider. For us guys spacers are the answer. Glue the spacer to the pan rail with black silicon and then run one gasket like normal. I won’t run without spacers now. For those running other street type intakes a thicker gasket usually works fine.

-
Back