Age old question: electric, and mech fuel pump?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
I have a spare electric jegs pump that my buddy wants for his land yaght 69 New yorker.

He wants to install it to prime his mechanical pump because it takes forever to bring the fuel 150 feet from the tank to the pump when the car sits for a while.:rolleyes:

Can he use this pump just to prime his system and shut it down once it fires off, and will fuel flow through the electric pump freely while it's not in use?

I know this has been asked before but I'm too lazy to read through a million old posts. LOL.:clock:

Can he use this pump just to prime his system and shut it down once it fires off, and will fuel flow through the electric pump freely while it's not in use?

I know this has been asked before but I'm too lazy to read through a million old posts. LOL.:clock:

I have both on my 408 stroker Duster. I use it as described for the above, and to supplement on 1/4 passes (best of 12.09 @ 110). It is a Carter GP4070 Electric feeding into a Carter M6270, from a 3/8 pickup through 3/8 fuel line. For normal driving, the electrical is off, since it is too noisy. I will switch it on to prime the Carb, or for 1/4 mile passes, where it tends to runs out of fuel shortly after hitting 3rd. Not sure if it because the Mechanical does not flow enough, or if the Electrical is reducing the free flow of fuel.

I any case, it works for me.

I'll refer to my pool vacuum that operates on compressed air because the mind is a terrible thing. LOL
I'm thinking a little creative plumbimg would allow an electric fuel pump to prime a system with an intermittent / horn button type switch. The pipe is sort of like a Y. Pushing one way creates a vacuum the other way. Hope this makes some sense.

No, most electric pumps will block off fuel supply if turned off.

I'll agree on this, its true most elec. pumps will not let fuel past through the valve when not in use, thats why (more then likely) jimmyray runs out of fuel while on the mech. pump.

Your BEST way is running 2 seperate lines when wanting an elec. & mech. both, or run either or, just not in the same line together.

FWIW, the electric flows almost as much going through the mechanical (motor off) as when there was no mechanical in place. Don't know about the flow of the mechanical, though. Hard to check with the motor running (needs fuel) and a little scary, too.

-
Back