AGM batteries are they worth it on our older mopars or best left for modern?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey everyone was just curious on whos running a agm battery on their mopar. I have a mopar group 34 flooded battery now and have had no issues but like the idea of a agm battery where there is no battery acid to spill. Any issues running a agm with the electrical system? I think ive read where the agm is more sensitive to over charging but are there any negatives besides that and being a pain to recharge if it goes dead. Ive been looking at a duracell group 34 agm and a interstate mxt 34 agm. About the only two agm that i can get that doesnt have bright colors on the case. Interstate has a 3 year and duracell has a 4 year warranty.

I've always had great service from lead/acid.

For now I'm staying with "old tech." By the way isn't it "interesting" that pretty much the same connector posts now used are same as the "Model T era"

https://lifelinebatteries.com/pros-cons-of-agm-batteries/

Pros & Cons Of AGM Batteries
prosandcons-AGM.jpg

Absorbent glass mat batteries (AGM) have been a market favorite for the past few decades. At the time, they were designed to be a viable alternative to the Ni-Cad batteries, which were very costly. Though they were mainly used in military vehicles as a source of back up power and heavy vehicles such as long-distance trucks, nowadays, they have more diversified uses. In principle, the AGM batteries work like any other lead battery. However, the AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, have several significant improvements that make them more efficient. Additionally, just like other types of batteries in the market, they have their advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of AGM

1. They are spill-proof

Unlike the traditional lead-acid batteries that freely flood their electrodes, AGM batteries have glass mats that prevent this. Additionally, it is the function of these glass mats to avoid spillage. Rather than absorbing the electrolyte, the glass mats work by holding the electrolyte in place, preventing it from spilling over, even when the battery is placed in odd positions.

2. They have a high-power output.

Because of the way that they are designed, the AGM batteries have minimal internal resistance. This, therefore, enables them to provide sufficient bursts of power when necessary, such as when one needs to start a battery. Due to this feature, these batteries respond better to loading than any other battery on the market.

3. They have a short charging time.

AGM batteries, compared to flooded batteries, charge quickly. When compared to flooded batteries of a similar capacity, the charging rate can reach five times faster with the same power source.

4. They have a longer lifespan

AGM batteries have a longer lifespan than traditional flooded batteries. Moreover, not only do they serve for a more extended period when they perform the same tasks, but they also last longer when they are not in active use. This is because self-discharging is minimized in these batteries, unlike other types of batteries, which is a huge problem. This ensures that one does not have to keep charging them after an extended period of inactivity.

5. They are durable.

These AGM batteries were originally designed to serve the aircraft industry. This means that they have a sturdy design, one that can handle conditions of intense vibrations, just like those in military and commercial aircraft. Because of this property, they are a favorite for high-end motorcycle riders and race car drivers. The sandwich construction method adopted in their design ensures that their internal components do not fall apart. Moreover, they are invulnerable to the subsequent wear and tear that may result from frequent and continuous vibrations. Furthermore, they can withstand extreme temperature variations.

6. They are unlikely to build up sulfation

Sulfation is the property of lead-acid batteries, where there is a gradual accumulation of lead sulfate crystals in the cells. In most cases, it is the cause of failure in lead-acid batteries. Sulfation mostly occurs when the battery is not fully charged, and thus the crystals continuously build up on the plates. When this process goes out of hand, it prevents the efficient conversion of chemical to electrical energy. Therefore, for other types of lead-acid batteries, it is essential to charge them every six months to prevent sulfation. However, in AGM batteries, sulfation is significantly reduced. Therefore, they can be stored for extended periods without needing a recharge.

Despite their many advantages, AGM batteries, just like other lead-acid batteries, also have their disadvantages. These include:

1. High production cost

Unlike the flooded batteries, AGM batteries have a higher production and manufacturing cost. However, they are still cheaper to produce than gel type batteries. Even though the cost of manufacturing these batteries has reduced since their introduction into the market in the 80s, it is still generally higher when compared to other battery types in the market. This, therefore, make them slightly expensive for use in some devices.

2. Energy issues

While these AGM batteries have a high-power output, they have a low specific energy. Generally, it is a necessity for batteries that are required to run for a long time under a moderate load to have a high specific load. This means that these batteries cannot be used on several devices.

I love my AGM reproduction Mopar battery. Have worked around batteries for many years and what I like best is not so much being "spill proof" but they are not "vented". Venting a standard battery allows for the escape of electrolyte as well as air. This leads to a build-up on top of the battery sometimes causing a low voltage discharge. Problem solved with a AGM.

I love my AGM reproduction Mopar battery. Have worked around batteries for many years and what I like best is not so much being "spill proof" but they are not "vented". Venting a standard battery allows for the escape of electrolyte as well as air. This leads to a build-up on top of the battery sometimes causing a low voltage discharge. Problem solved with a AGM.
What would you say is the average price and life differences?

Last time I looked you could get a red top optima for about 225 and a green top interstate for about 160. I’ve not put a charger on my red top in a year and have only ran the car about once a month for the last 6 months with no problems. My brother has about 5 red tops used for slave batteries to start the formula cars that are over 10 years old and still have 80-100% load capacity…

Last time I looked you could get a red top optima for about 225 and a green top interstate for about 160. I’ve not put a charger on my red top in a year and have only ran the car about once a month for the last 6 months with no problems. My brother has about 5 red tops used for slave batteries to start the formula cars that are over 10 years old and still have 80-100% load capacity…
I did not realize they were that good. 160 for Interstate HELL the LA around here are that much!

I have a AGM in one car. It will discharge over the winter and It takes a long time with a 2 amp trickle to get it back up.

Yep, not saying all of them are good. The older red tops are better than the new ones.

I pull the negative line off the battery after each day of running it. I don’t have draw with a new non painless - painless wiring harness and have trunk mounted so it’s a good theft deterrent with the trunk locked…

I got a Yellow top repro in 2014! It still lives today, I keep it tended most the time!

No residue in the engine bay and have been very pleased!

What will happen when a new one is required? Your guess is better than mine!

I have asked if a few ounces of acid over the years will help it last longer and got many Stupid responses IMO! I fully understand the AGM principle, however it was charged with acid at some point!

I got a Yellow top repro in 2014! It still lives today, I keep it tended most the time!

No residue in the engine bay and have been very pleased!

What will happen when a new one is required? Your guess is better than mine!

I have asked if a few ounces of acid over the years will help it last longer and got many Stupid responses IMO! I fully understand the AGM principle, however it was charged with acid at some point!

LOL!! ALL batteries either have an acid or a base!!! Some telco backup batteries are base electrolyte-------------------well---------I can't find it anymore..........becuz-----Google is ******* worthless

Maybe Pishta remembers.

LOL!! ALL batteries either have an acid or a base!!! Some telco backup batteries are base electrolyte-------------------well---------I can't find it anymore..........becuz-----Google is ******* worthless

Maybe Pishta remembers.

Alkaline batteries are base electrolyte, right?

Well I'm talking about wetcell. Just now came to me EDISON cells

similar to these

Nickel–iron battery - Wikipedia
And there are different variations, "I ain't a chemist" LOL
Edison–Lalande cell - Wikipedia

I "discovered" these at a couple of combination radio sites when working for the Motorola SS that was used both for cellular and two way radio. These were the backup batteries for the cell equipment, and then a diesel generator.

-
Back