Air cleaner attachment

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
Hi,
First off sorry for the horrible picture, my phone and it sucks. So anyway, my air cleaner rattles around because it fits so loosely. The PO put a large nut and 2 washers as spacers under the wing nut. But this is the bolt that holds it to the carb, it is held on by what might be twisted bailing wire or old coat hanger. Is there a part I can get to fix this? It lets all kinds of crap onto the filter from underneath.

Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• Carb.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 180
How about more or thicker gaskets between the carb and the aircleaner?

Those carbs are EVERYWHERE, a quick trip to the junkyard should net you a good replacement piece.

I have had the wagon for almost a year and a half now, driving it pretty much 5 days a week, and I have yet to make it to a wrecking yard. Plan on getting a lot of parts at Spring Fling though.

You've got the wrong air cleaner bail on your carburetor. The one you have is for use with the '63-'67 "small and tall" air cleaner. It's too tall to work with the '70-'73 air cleaner you're running. Either put on the correct bail or put on the earlier air cleaner (must be the ~9" diameter unit; the 11" diameter unit also takes the lower-height air cleaner bail).

You've got the wrong air cleaner bail on your carburetor. The one you have is for use with the '63-'67 "small and tall" air cleaner. It's too tall to work with the '70-'73 air cleaner you're running. Either put on the correct bail or put on the earlier air cleaner (must be the ~9" diameter unit; the 11" diameter unit also takes the lower-height air cleaner bail).
Yup, those bails are supposed to have a captive stud wound into it so the can't come loose. I've seen setups like yours come loose a suck hardware down into the engine.... not a pretty site....

-
Back