Air cleaner clearance?

-

70net440

Reaction score
Anyone have a solution for hood clearance using the mopar performance cast aluminum filter assembly? This is on a 70 Dart, 340, Edelbrock Performer, Road Demon carb. The element that came with it is just under 3" high. I can't find an element that is the same diameter that is shorter. I think I need to try a different base. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I had the same problem. You want this K&N filter: KNN-E-1515. As far as I know, no store will have this in stock. Summit I found is the best place to get this filter. Here you can see pics of my setup.

enginecloseup2.jpg

I think it is 1.5in high but I can go out and measure mine if you need to know for sure. Also the fist time you put it on the base plate it doesn't want to sit to good because of the hump but if you mount and tighten it down it seats it self pretty nice.

Also are you sure the 3" filter won't work? If you are just running a performer intake and no carb spacers I would think you should have enough clearance to run it.

I ran that aircleaner and had no clearance problems with the stock filter. I also ran a 3" tall filter with a drop base.

You can always cut a hole in the hood and not worry about clearance. :mrgreen:

Picture_061.thumb.jpg

AdamR said:
I ran that aircleaner and had no clearance problems with the stock filter. I also ran a 3" tall filter with a drop base.

You can always cut a hole in the hood and not worry about clearance. :mrgreen:

Picture_061.thumb.jpg

Yes, scenery behind the scoop or airfilter, it just look better... :D

Thanks guys, I'll double check the stock element before odering the K&N. Now that I got the intake sealed up, I took a closer look and I now see it's the F@#&ING timing cover that's leaking! :banghead:

I have a 360, Edelbrock Air Gap intake, 625 Carter (Edelbrock), a 3" AMSOIL Two stage filter, and a 1/2" spacer for the filter base to clear my fuel lines/regulator.

and it ALL fits under the hood.

If you're running a Performer intake, you shouldn't have ANY clearance problems.

superdart said:
I have a 360, Edelbrock Air Gap intake, 625 Carter (Edelbrock), a 3" AMSOIL Two stage filter, and a 1/2" spacer for the filter base to clear my fuel lines/regulator.

and it ALL fits under the hood.

If you're running a Performer intake, you shouldn't have ANY clearance problems.

You must not be using the the black MP air cleaner assembly or you modified it by using the bottom plate from another air cleaner assembly. From your avatar it looks like we have the same car and I have a 360 with Airgap, Mighty Demon Carb, 1/2 spacer with 2 3/16 gaskets and running 1.5 in filter and that brings me to about a 1/4 inch from my hood. A 3" filter will fit easy but not if your using the MP air cleaner.

I didn't realize the Mopar air cleaner had those kind of issues. I have an Edlebrock crome cover (for now, until I mount my ramairbox).
I had to use the 1/2 riser because my fuel line comes straight in the front. There is no way a drop base, or even a mild riser base will clear my fuel line.

-
Back