[WANTED] Air cleaner for a 1974 Swinger, 318 2bbl.

-

Larsen74Dart

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
In search of an air cleaner for '74 Dart Swinger 2D HT, 318 2bbl., to replace the "original" orange dual snorkel air cleaner that is currently on it. I haven't actually taken possession of the car yet, so I cannot confirm that this is an actual 2bbl, but it should be.
Would this air cleaner fit on a 2bbl?

IMG_8903.jpg

IMG_9304.jpg

I’m not aware of 2bbl dual snorkel air cleaners existing but then you can fill a warehouse full of stuff I don’t know.

Check out this website for more info:
Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

Perhaps your 318 has been upgraded to a 4bbl already? The opening at the base of the air cleaner is larger on a 4bbl so it’s not ‘easy’ to just rest a 4bbl cleaner on top of a 2bbl carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
That appears to be a 2-barrel air cleaner to which someone added a second snorkel. The diameter is too small for a factory four-barrel air cleaner, the lid looks like a two-barrel stamping, and the scale between the air cleaner body and snorkels is goofy.

Here's an original four-barrel dual-snorkel for comparison. Look at the difference in distance between the raised ring for the filter element between it and the one on the car.

snurkel.jpg

Either way, I'll take a look next trip to my storage area, but I don't think my Challenger came with an air cleaner.

i'm your huckleberry

oGcrGybl.jpg

these both fit carter BBD, both came off 318 2bbl cars, i can't tell you which one is "more correct" for your specific year. no rot or real rust to speak of, just dirty and dusty from sitting.

I have a junker 74 318 2-bbl Dart, i can get a pic of the air cleaner in the morning.

One day and I already love this forum. You guys are great.
I’m not aware of 2bbl dual snorkel air cleaners existing but then you can fill a warehouse full of stuff I don’t know.

Check out this website for more info:
Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

Perhaps your 318 has been upgraded to a 4bbl already? The opening at the base of the air cleaner is larger on a 4bbl so it’s not ‘easy’ to just rest a 4bbl cleaner on top of a 2bbl carb.
I did contact Nick. He said it's def not original and also said what others did about someone adding a 2nd snorkel to the 2bbl air cleaner. He also sent a pic of what an original looks like.

i'm your huckleberry

oGcrGybl.jpg

these both fit carter BBD, both came off 318 2bbl cars, i can't tell you which one is "more correct" for your specific year. no rot or real rust to speak of, just dirty and dusty from sitting.
One on right looks like 60's. One on left is closer, but should have oval snorkel. Hold on to that one for now...

I think I still have the one that came off my ‘74 318 Dart, but I can’t get a picture of it until Tuesday for you. It’s an original 74 part as far as I know

I have one exactly like post #10, if previous post has one, that's fine. Mine is 50 years old, not perfect, but could be fixed up, little rust, will send a picture after above post lets you know.

that would be great if you have one in decent shape. Thank you. Nick's garage sent me this pic of what an original should look like. Oval snorkel.
Here it is, 74 Dart, 318, 2-bbl air cleaner. I have reason to believe this is the original but after 50 years, who knows?

20241006_112051.jpg

I have a 71 and a 75 Factory Manual and they show both, oval and square outlets. Maybe an east coast or west coast that determines the outlet. My car is east coast so oval outlet.

-
Back