air cleaner repair

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
well i got a 70 dual snorkel air cleaner for free off a scrap pile with a 70 road runner headed to scrap ....( i know i know ...the car was too far gone and not mine anyway)

so even though it was a free air cleaner it was damaged ......it was run over on one snorkel ....so i was looking around and i noticed that the snorkel is almost exactly the same as slanty or 2 BBl. air cleaner.

so i cut off the snorkel from a slanty air cleaner and i am proceeding to transplant it.

with the bad snorkel cut off i have it in the sand blast cabinet now.

stay tuned as we go through this air cleaner resto idea ....maybe it wont work but i have to try .......this is a 70 only cleaner with the straight line on the snorkel and the slanty air cleaner donor snorkel is also a 70 ....same snorkel.

to make life hard it had to be the passenger side snorkel which has a base that is unique to dual snorkel air cleaners so i will be doing hammer and dolly work on the bottom section of the snorkel

the snorkels are pretty easy to remove as they have four spot welds to break.

Attachments

• CIMG2830.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 271
  • CIMG2831.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 243
  • CIMG2833.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 262
you can see the bashed up snorkel and the donor one out of the blast cabinet .......I drilled holes in the donor snorkel for plug welds .....and I used weld through primer on the surfaces I wont be able to reach in the paint stage.

the first plug weld went in perfect ...so perfect that I got too confident ....the first one flattened out and is ready to go.

my over confidence smacked me bcoz the second one burned through :banghead: so then it made a nugget as I tried to fix the burn through ....so that one will need some grinding and finishing.

I have the vision already ...I might have to PM Leanne for a pointer on a low buck way to duplicate crinkle finish.

I found a lid that looks like it came with it......when I got the base I didn't get a lid with it. oh well cant complain when you take stuff off a junk pile.

plus my donor cleaners have good vacuum pods and osac valve.:cheers:

now I still need to tackle the snorkel base.

Attachments

• CIMG2858.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 242
  • CIMG2857.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 241
  • CIMG2855.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 227
  • CIMG2854.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 236
  • CIMG2851.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 231
  • CIMG2850.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 209
  • CIMG2849.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 231
  • CIMG2848.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 233
  • CIMG2847.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 242
the one left is unique to a dual snorkel ....the warm air duct is only used one the driver side ...since this piece is unique to this cleaner I must re-use it .....this is where the work will be to get the edge re-formed back into shape.

probably a couple hours of hammer and dolly work.

I already did some rough shaping to get it that straight

Attachments

• CIMG2859.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 221
Nice work
Least expensive way to reproduce the wrinkle finish is with paint. Eastman has it.

Great Job! I have one the I did the same thing to. I was also able to straighten the damaged snorkel once I got it off. Matt

thanks guys ....

I was looking around today and apparently wrinkle finish is available in spray bomb ....not sure how good it is.

I would like to get this air cleaner in epoxy primer before trying anything like that.

Attachments

• 6PEU9_AS01.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 137
I'm impressed again!!! :prayer:
Great job!

the rattle can spray paint works great just make sure its a hot day out the hotter the better. I didn't use primer though. I painted the whole thing with semi gloss black then used the wrinkle paint

-
Back