Air Compressor Set-up suggestions needed

-

Stepper

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 60 gallon air compressor and will be installing it in my garage. I plan to use it to restore my dart. Therefore, it will be running all of the normal air tools such as DA sander, air chisel, impact wrench etc.

But I also plan to use it to paint the car.

I'm new to setting up this thing and would like suggestions as to how I should configure the system.

From what I've read, I know I'll need a dryer for the line to keep moisture out of the paint. But other than that, I'd like anyone's expertise offered.

For instance, I'd like to know the specifics such as where specifically should I place the dryer....and or filter?
Should the dryer be close to the compressor or closer to the end of the air line?
Is there anything else I need to install in order to make the system work for what my intentions are?

I simply want to install this thing the right way the first time.

Thanks guys

probably not. I plan to move out of the house in a year or so.
At that point I may plumb the garage.

i put a dryer/filter right at the compressor. i also put a shutoff valve right before the dryer (so i can cut the air to the line and drain the dryer.) when i paint i use a totally different air hose(one that is set aside just for painting) and drain the air and moisture out of the compressor. i also buy a disposable dryer to put right at the spray gun to catch the moisture that the other dryer doesnt get. dont settle for a cheap dryer, buy a good one that will get alotof the moisture out.

i can post a pic if wanted

also drain your compressor every so often, the moisture build on the inside can rust the compressor from the inside out.

Ok...so you're suggesting this?:

Compressor--shut off valve--dryer/filter--hose----tool

One thing: Many of these modern cheapoized compressor setups use a multi-port mess for an air manifold, and some are combined with or very close to the compressor pump output.

If at all possible, select a plug elsewhere on the tank, if it's vertical, they normally have at least one down in the middle. Remove and replace it with the appropriate bushing, or drill and tap for whatever fitting you want to put in.

This will allow the air to dispurse, cool, and drop some of the moisture to the bottom of the tank before entering the hose

I agree with D-man313, except I put two dryer/filters on, 1 after the shut off valve a 2" extension and another dryer/filter befor the hose attavhment. It catches a lot of moisture. I live in Florida and we have a lot of humidity. Also, I try to remember to drain my tank every day.

Dave

D Man has many valid points. I would put a filter/ dryer at the compressor and at least a disposable filter at the paint gun. Air tools will last longer but are much more forgiving when it comes to moisture and contaminants compared to paint guns and the quality of your paint work. For those of you that plum your shop, the line that goes up and over your door and the farthest line from the compressor will always have the most moisture. Contamination comes from dirty compressor intake filters or worn compressors which will send oil thought the lines. Filters will filter out moisture and oily contaminants. Drain your filters often and replace the elements as needed. I always liked to turn off my compressor and open the furthest drain to drain the compressor. That will help drain moisture from the compressor and lines. Also a good idea is to use a new pvc type hose specific for painting. It will help your paint work come out cleaner and the disposable filters that screw to your paint gun are added insurance. toolman

Here are a couple photos of mine. Air compressor, shutoff, regulator/dryer, system, another dryer & hose. Has worked well for me.

Attachments

• AirCompInst 002.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 158
  • AirCompInst 005.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 157
  • AirCompInst 006.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 135
Got it. Thanks all for the help! I wouldn't have thought of the extra filter and the shut off valve. So once again thanks guys

Run as much black iron, or galvi steel pipe as you can. The moisture in the air will condensate on the steel pipe and not make it to your air hose. Put a drop and drain in the steel at the end where you connect your hose, then go up for the hose connection, put your filter/dryer then hose. This will get rid of 90% of the water.

Just a clarification on dryers...for painting there are 2 kinds. They are the refrigerated type and desiccant. The refrigerated dryers are very expensive. The desiccant dryers are less expensive (some of them anyway) and contain a disposable desiccant bead. You have to get one big enough for the air volume needed for painting. The $10 disposable desiccant filters won't flow enough air for painting (I tried them). The filters with screens in them that knock water out, which some people cause dryers, won't be good enough for painting IMHO.

-
Back