Air filter issues

-

Diesel Jesus

Reaction score
I have 90 D150 with a 318 La and I've been having issues of it tearing apart cold air filters at the end like this, I've been through 3 filters in the last 3 months and they're not rubbing on anything and I've been using the filter oil so I was curious if anyone had an idea as to why because I've never encountered this before

IMG20240831151317.jpg

They should be sprayed with a oil. K &N sells a kit. Buy a K & N and dont look back have one on my 2000 dakota from the factory its still the same one.

1725200892564.png

Last edited:
.....and if you used a cleaning solution, was it the correct one without high pressure water or air?

Buy A K&N filter. The off brands do exactly what you pictured. Had a lid where the paper sucked right out of the screen where you could see through it.

I have 90 D150 with a 318 La and I've been having issues of it tearing apart cold air filters at the end like this, I've been through 3 filters in the last 3 months and they're not rubbing on anything and I've been using the filter oil so I was curious if anyone had an idea as to why because I've never encountered this before

View attachment 1716297445
You don't describe your method of cleaning them, what you're cleaning them with and why you'd need to clean 3 of them in 3 months.

The filter oil probably caused it. Obviously not cotton gauze like a k&n.

3 filters in 3 months! I try to stretch my filters to 3 years lol.

Don't USE SOLVENTS ON FILTERS they can be corrosive and eat away material. Reusable filters usually can be cleaned out with dish soap or laundry detergent along with water.

Last edited:
For cleaning I use a kit from k&N that's a soap to use with water and the filter oil for conditioning and I haven't been taking it off and cleaning every month I had 2 cheaper ones start to rip so I ended up getting the current one which is from spectre performance

Buy A K&N filter. The off brands do exactly what you pictured. Had a lid where the paper sucked right out of the screen where you could see through it.
I agree. I used them on car, my DODGE 2500 diesel problems. Even put K&N on my my Holmes A/C unit. I use the K&N cleaner for it still like new

-
Back