air tools

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I keep telling myself, THIS is the last car I will do body work on, BUT.......

years back I sold off all my tools, shop, etc...... I just piddle with my collection of cars, NO public work.

I need to get some air tools, nibbler, air chisel, dril, cut off wheel stuff., etc.... I see cambell-hausfield stuff at wally world, and lowe's brand stuff. all cheap and no doubt china crap. is it worth spending few $$ on. and NO HF is 150 mi trip and I have NO luck with their stuff! just wondering...

They work but one thing I have found is they take more air to run. In other words the compressor will run alot.

I have a few HF die grinders and cut off tools, and a da. Seem to work fine for my occasional use. I've had quite a few "other" high dollar ones crap out after a short time when I did it for a living. Never really compared air usage though.

My wife got me a Husky set 4 or 5 years ago now for xmas. I've beat the crap out of them, used hard and not had a single issue. I think my impact is rated for 350 ft lbs too. Cost isn't bad either.

Course if you want super high quality, McCorrmick or Snap On, Cromwell even....but be prepared for about 2 grand in cost.

I own HF tools from way back in the 80's when they were CP and they all still work fine. Just drop some hydraulic oil in the chuck end first, as they can stick a bit when they sit for a while.

My 3" air grinder has seen hundreds of hours of use and still runs strong. Ditto on the air volume use, but if you have a decent size tank then you'll be fine.

For hobby work and the money it's a no brainer.

never have had any high priced tools! don't want them! ha

I will get get some of these " cheap" ones. they won't get used that hard.

I bought the high est priced D A at HF, it ran 5 min and quit. they said bring it back, they are 60 mi away and I never think to put it in the truck when goin that direction! I have had the cheap DA's from decades back, ran the crap out of them, still work. IF I could just get the pad off! Ha

-
Back