Alan P at Indy

-
He posted on Moparts a few days ago that he had found some power and was looking forward to Indy.

I saw on Drag Race Results he ended up qualified number 16. 16 takes on the number one qualifier.

I watched the coverage, I didn't even see his run.
I would take 16th at Indy in a minute.

Remember when Charlie Wescott bought Cunningham's Mustang pro stock equipment and tried pro stock? The man who owned Hemi Challenge series could not qualify.
upload_2020-7-12_11-51-27.png

upload_2020-7-12_11-52-6.png

I watched the coverage, I didn't even see his run.
I would take 16th at Indy in a minute.

Remember when Charlie Wescott bought Cunningham's Mustang pro stock equipment and tried pro stock? The man who owned Hemi Challenge series could not qualify.
View attachment 1715560197
View attachment 1715560198

True, but the rules are, and have always been GM centric. Unless there is a MASSIVE change at NHRA (highly improbable) and a serious set of rule changes, there will never ever be another non GM competitive car out there. Ever.

A little recap. The first big kick in the Pentastar was the switch from VP to Sunoco fuel. If WJ doesn’t and Jeg doesn’t cheat, Pro Stock could run any fuel that passes simple testing. A whiner and a cheater screwed that up.

And it just so happened that the characteristics of the Sunoco fuel are such that the Dodge combination was hurt the most. But WJ was happy and Jeg is still a cheater.

Then the switch to EFI. What a joke. Rather then allow carbs verses EFI and scoop verses the queer hood they run now, NHRA bootlicked Holley and waited for them to crap out a spec system. Or maybe it was the other way round. Maybe Holley bootlicked NHRA. Either way, it sucked.

Rather than letting the best system cause the change, NHRA forced a system down the throats of Pro Stock, and how got hurt more? The Dodge. Why? The head they use has a very short intake port, so to get the required volume to feed 500 inches at 11,000 plus RPM, you made it up in intake manifold runner length.

Uh oh, you can’t do that with the current EFI system because that junk has to fit under that queer hood. Don’t think NHRA wasn’t made aware of this, IF they didn’t know it beforehand.

And let’s not forget the last, critical nail in the coffin of the Dodge Pro Stock effort...the stupid RPM limit. Said to “save money” (who in the hell goes Pro Stock racing and thinks saving money on springs makes sense...no one...the biggest cost according to Chris McGaha and several others is travel and time away from work. So the spring savings is stupid.

The Dodge was 500-700 RPM higher than the GM stuff, and in Pro Stock racing that’s a mile.

So it’s rule after rule after rule killing everything not GM. Pretty much how it’s always been. The fact that Wescott even qualified with the obsolete junk he had is amazing.

Yes, Pro Stock and saving money in the same sentence is a fools bet at best. It is and has always been a rich mans class.

I heard one of the announcers say that Erica was hitting the 10.5 limit chip in the lights.

I remember McGaha saying that the only way the hemis could stay compatitive was because they made a little more power above 10,000rpm. So, of course, nhra installs a rule for the fuel injection with a ten grand rpm limit. New rule change, poof! No more competitive hemis! Sound familiar?

1st round loser to Line. 15 Chebbies and 1 Dart. The 2 Mustangs with 500 CU Fords did not Q.

2 Mustangs with 500 CU Chevys Engines....

Rules allow any engine make in any brand of car.....

Entry list said 500 ford. I know they can run brand x, I was going by the web info.
upload_2020-7-12_21-18-30.png

need to go back to their roots factory car bodies 2500# limit 6.4 c.I. maybe a spec supercharger and see what happens
Anybody remember Jr. prostock back in early 70's if I remember correctly very short 2 seasons maybe

need to go back to their roots factory car bodies 2500# limit 6.4 c.I. maybe a spec supercharger and see what happens
Anybody remember Jr. prostock back in early 70's if I remember correctly very short 2 seasons maybe

Naw, Pro Stock is N/A. I’d rather they kill the class then change it to blower junk.

Naw, Pro Stock is N/A. I’d rather they kill the class then change it to blower junk.

They have already killed it as far as I`m concerned , havent watched since they killed the hemi again!!
Or any dragracing , including the street outlaw punks, they would have got their asses stomped into a mudhole where I grew up .

NHRA is messed up and all you have to do is follow the factory stock class. Mopar wins a few races and gets hit with a weight penalty. They give Ford a bigger supercharger and penalize them 2-3 times with pulley changes. When you give pencil pushers the rule change button you can control the winners and the losers.

This nonsense mandating Holley EFI is a complete screw. "Since when" does this type of ruling promote innovation which drag---and racing in general--has always "been?"

I'm not against Holley equipment........just it being mandated

I spoke with AP for a while in Phoenix. He brushed all that stuff aside. The RPM thing quit being an issue a while back. He said what he needs is serious $ for R&D and parts. His team is also part time/volunteer. Either way, it’s gonna be tough because it comes down to numbers. When people are running more of one combo, there’s more tech available that eventually everyone gets a hold of. AJ had the factory behind him at his peak. They left PS and they aren’t coming back. I don’t disagree with their shift to FS. It was a solid business decision. Unfortunately at 7.50 that’s over with too.

I spoke with AP for a while in Phoenix. He brushed all that stuff aside. The RPM thing quit being an issue a while back. He said what he needs is serious $ for R&D and parts. His team is also part time/volunteer. Either way, it’s gonna be tough because it comes down to numbers. When people are running more of one combo, there’s more tech available that eventually everyone gets a hold of. AJ had the factory behind him at his peak. They left PS and they aren’t coming back. I don’t disagree with their shift to FS. It was a solid business decision. Unfortunately at 7.50 that’s over with too.

I have a hard time believing he brushed aside RPM. So serious engine builder who does more than bracket racing stuff knows better.

He is also fully aware of the architecture limits of the engine he uses.

FWIW, the Johnson family didn’t get near the help most thing they did. Let’s not forget, Chrysler in its infinite stupidity pulled ALL support from the Johnsons’s in late 1998 and gave it to the Nickens/Morgan team, and that was a debacle.

The Johnson’s success lies almost solely with Roy himself, and their in house guys. There was a time in 1999-2000 that Roy couldn’t even GET a block.

Nick Ferrie, who is an exceptional builder couldn’t make a dodge run. And he tried twice. Once with Jeg and a few years back with Elite.

No one else wants to touch it. Rules made the Dodge engine platform obsolete.

If AP wants to keep running PS, he should either put a GM engine in his chassis and live with it, or put a GM body on his chassis with the GM engine and go race.

He has zero chance of being competitive.

I have a hard time believing he brushed aside RPM. So serious engine builder who does more than bracket racing stuff knows better.

He is also fully aware of the architecture limits of the engine he uses.

FWIW, the Johnson family didn’t get near the help most thing they did. Let’s not forget, Chrysler in its infinite stupidity pulled ALL support from the Johnsons’s in late 1998 and gave it to the Nickens/Morgan team, and that was a debacle.

The Johnson’s success lies almost solely with Roy himself, and their in house guys. There was a time in 1999-2000 that Roy couldn’t even GET a block.

Nick Ferrie, who is an exceptional builder couldn’t make a dodge run. And he tried twice. Once with Jeg and a few years back with Elite.

No one else wants to touch it. Rules made the Dodge engine platform obsolete.

If AP wants to keep running PS, he should either put a GM engine in his chassis and live with it, or put a GM body on his chassis with the GM engine and go race.

He has zero chance of being competitive.

He said it. Surprised me when I brought it up. He stated facts but made no excuses for his program. He is, and has been, a dedicated MOPAR guy. Chrysler should have backed Team Johnson way before they actually did and they weren’t treated by Chrysler very nicely when it ended IMO. They also have been lifelong MOPAR people. No one can dispute the Old Man’s engine prowess but they did have factory support and that makes a difference. You may be correct in that he won’t become competitive but it won’t be for lack of effort or dedication. As long as he shows up, I’m rootin’ for him. Unfortunately what used to be my favorite class is no more.

Last edited:
Guys, the rules are the rules and if you want to play in PS you accept them and pay your money to the dance. Other wise stay home. We all know fussing and complaining isn't going to change anything.

My hats off to Alan for sticking it out and I wish him the best of luck regardless what power plant he runs.

-
Back