alcohol/methenol

-

dart72a

Reaction score
I'm going to build a 414ci on alcohol. I've been running 110 in my 417 and 365 having to chase the dial-in. I've heard good and bad things about it. I just want some opinions. I know the consumption is twice as much, the maintenance is more and condensation is there. I'm a bracket racer thats looking to be more consistant from day to night.:burnout:

put as much compression in the motor as you can get. not only wil the motor et better round after round but will be much faster. use a top lube, with it you can go week to week racing with outdraining the system. when going over the winter drain, lube the pumps with wd-40 and leave all the lines and tank open. keep the barrel or cans closed all the time and only open them when you need to. seal all the vents off to the fuel tank when not racing and towing. the alcohol will eat the sealing rubber around the lid of the plastic fuel cell so keep an eye on it. keep an eye on the accelerator pump diaphams also. when your oil get milky, drain it into a 5 gal can and let it set and all the alcohol and water will come out of it. you can also heat it out with a turkey deep fryer or 40+ cup coffee maker and use it again and again.

I ran my 67 Sg cuda on alcohol, Rons flying toilet, picked up 2/10 ths in the 1/8 over 116 gas. Only problem is when it is cooler out it is a bear to start.

You don't need 14:1 but the higher the better and probably a minimum of 12.5:1 to really see the benefits of alcohol.

They are kits for injected cars to be able to use gasoline to start, warm the engine and drive around the pits with then switch over to alcohol.

although i start mine on alcohol it could be started on gas. see the red covered solenoid next to the accumulator, it's a nos gas solenoid. the #4 ss line goes to the hat with #70 jet to start it. i have a momentary toggle switch on the dash that opens the soleniod and starts a holley blue pump that feeds out of a 1 gallon plastic fuel cell mounted inside the trunk.

Attachments

• new Pictures 007.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 367
I don't have any problems.I run mine lean.Keep the alky off and poor gas in the toilet and when it goes to start supply alky and pull the cable out(idle up a few rpms) to lean out the engine to warm it up but don't forget to push it back in for flight!A good evac is a must.Don't do any unnecessary Idling.Spray walmarts bran of wd40 down the intake to dissipate moisture.I don't milk my oil.....

DSCF1398-1.jpg

e459f9dc.jpg

The maintenance is minimal, IF you buy it by the drum and use a good top lube. I've run alcohol in everything from an 8/1 compression small block to my current 14/1 540" big block. I've gone faster with alcohol every time.

You will use more fuel but it will probably cost out cheaper than running race gas. Also weather will have less effect on round to round et changes. It will run MUCH cooler and you will almost certainly go faster. Good stuff!

although i start mine on alcohol it could be started on gas. see the red covered solenoid next to the accumulator, it's a nos gas solenoid. the #4 ss line goes to the hat with #70 jet to start it. i have a momentary toggle switch on the dash that opens the soleniod and starts a holley blue pump that feeds out of a 1 gallon plastic fuel cell mounted inside the trunk.

looks like you mastered plumbing 101 on that engine...LOL

I never mix in the drum.Just mix top lube in a 5 gal jug the day I'm using it

You can do it either way...... as long as you do it. Between warm up, staging lanes, burnout, making a pass, and returning to the trailer, I use about a gallon and a half. If you are bracket racing and going rounds you can go through several 5 gallon jugs in a hurry.

I just found it easier to bring the top lube with me when I picked up a drum of alcohol. I dumped it in there and by the time I was home it was totally mixed in.

You don't need 14:1 but the higher the better and probably a minimum of 12.5:1 to really see the benefits of alcohol.

They are kits for injected cars to be able to use gasoline to start, warm the engine and drive around the pits with then switch over to alcohol.

its hillbilly the purple car

I crew on a Blown injected Alcohol Hemi Dragster and we squirt gas into the hat to start it. It only takes a little to get it going and then hold on. Runs much cooler than on gas and yes the Air becomes your tuning concerns. Just keep good records on your runs and what pill size you use to what air/altitude and you will always know what to do and what to dial. It really is a good system and way to go. Makes warm-ups smell great too. :)

-
Back