Aliens, legal?

-

LeftCoastJeff

Rubberking
Reaction score
I shot this a few years ago, so excuse the low tech.

These critters arrive on our coast from deep in the Monterey canyon, aboard the upwelling of cold (44F) seawater.

There is very little chance I (or anyone else) will get this oppertunity again, though I've been trying =P~

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cndzhOM3Hc&feature=channel"]YouTube- jeff's underwater world090801.avi[/ame]

Any questions? :sign10:

LCjeff

Amazing! There are some strange looking thing living deep in the ocean.
Must have been a real thrill to get to see some close up. Thanks for posting it.

Once in a lifetime dive for sure! Between 2 storms in Feb. over 15 years ago.
McAbee beach, Cannery Row, Monterey Cal.

I was very lucky to find these critters, they live 2000-3000' down in the Monterey canyon. The only time we see them is when the up-welling of cold seawater pushes them up to the surface.
Introducing; 2 types of Ctenophora, Lobata (lobed) and Beroida. (flatter)
Ctenophora are the critters that have comb rows that refract the light and give you the rainbow effect, Ctenophora means comb bearer, that's what moves them along through the water.
Siphonophores, in long chains, straight (one must have been 100' long) and curled up. The "head" or "bell" pulls the chain along through the water.

Salps are barrel-shaped and are usually grouped in rings, each individual works like a water pump, in the mouth, out the rear.

Check out this one I made for the Charleston S.C. Natural History Museum.

Giant Kelp! Enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUbED8B4oLo&feature=channel"]YouTube- Macrosystice2.dv[/ame]

More Questions?

LCjeff

Thanks, Jeff! That must have been an incredible experience on that dive.
Not too many people are aware of the wonders in the Monterey canyon - or even that it's there.
Anybody that has a chance to visit the Monterey Aquarium should definitely do so.

Thanks, Jeff! That must have been an incredible experience on that dive.
Not too many people are aware of the wonders in the Monterey canyon - or even that it's there.
Anybody that has a chance to visit the Monterey Aquarium should definitely do so.

Your welcome, my pleasure!
The Monterey Canyon drained would look something like the Grand Canyon in depth.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute guys were very interested in the video. :read2:

Very cool Jeff. It was like being at the Monterey Aquarium again.

Thanks Ben,
The Aquarium has had little or no luck keeping some of these critters alive due to several problems (they come from a place under great pressure, no light and nothing to run into) Some are very fragile.:sign10:

LCjeff

Ps next time you are in Monterey, shoot me a note and maybe I can get some guest passes and save you some $$$.

-
Back