Aligning body panels

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the cab and the fenders aligned properly on my '85 Ram. Anyone have a procedure to follow on where to start?

My garage floor isn't level it tappers toward the middle toward a drain on the floor. So I'm thinking I should have the truck sitting level on its wheels, Or should I get the frame level, or am i over thinking this all together and just start with the doors and work my way forward and just get the body lines straight and the truck being level doesn't matter so much?

Truck being level doesn't matter. I did my truck a while back. I spent quite a bit of time on the doors. They were always hard to latch since I owned it. (15 yrs)
I think they are better now than they were new. Don't even have to slam them now. Just a light click. The striker post were wore half through from being mid aligned for so long so I replaced them from the help section on one of those card racks at A zone.
I am not happy with the replacements and am going to try and find some good originals that are correct for a longer lasting repair. I'm thinking of checking passenger sides at the salvage
yard. I also took the latches out and threw them in the parts washer to get the dirt out of them.
I lined up the doors with the weatherstrip removed to make it easier.
Once the doors were working good it was all down hill from there with the fenders core support and grill.
They had no quirks and lined up easy.

Truck being level doesn't matter. I did my truck a while back. I spent quite a bit of time on the doors. They were always hard to latch since I owned it. (15 yrs)
I think they are better now than they were new. Don't even have to slam them now. Just a light click. The striker post were wore half through from being mid aligned for so long so I replaced them from the help section on one of those card racks at A zone.
I am not happy with the replacements and am going to try and find some good originals that are correct for a longer lasting repair. I'm thinking of checking passenger sides at the salvage
yard. I also took the latches out and threw them in the parts washer to get the dirt out of them.
I lined up the doors with the weatherstrip removed to make it easier.
Once the doors were working good it was all down hill from there with the fenders core support and grill.
They had no quirks and lined up easy.

When we took it apart, I remember that with the core support, one side had more washers than the other side. ?But I don't remember what side the extra washer went on. So how could I figure that out? Once I get that figured out I think I'll be good to go.

Hood to cowl
Doors to body
Fenders to hood and doors
Again doors to body and fenders

The hood has one place it can be right, and that references the cowl. The doors can fit perfect to the body but have a big gap to the fender, but with the fender fit to the hood and grill you have to split the difference on the doors

-
Back