aligning fenders

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
What do I need to get my fenders aligned? Ive got the doors aligned now to work on the front end. Any tips and ides would be helpful.

get the hood set with the back of the cowl is my normal next step. The fenders give the greatest amount of adjustment all things being equal. Only tip I can give since most of it is straight forward is get an assortment of shims.

Yep hood to cowl gap, then fenders. Also dont forget these are not new cars with cm gaps... expect a 1/4" gap at the back of the door and to the fender

Put the hood on and get the hood to cowl gap the same then align fenders to hood then install the header panel to get the hood to cowl and hood to header gaps close to the same. Just got done aligning all the sheet metal on my barracuda. As stated don't expect any tight gaps unless you want to spend
the time on them adding metal and grinding

On the rail where the fenders go on both sides there shouldnt be any reason to shim there right or anywhere else but down on the dog leg right?

1/4 inch gap on everything is what it shoot for. You can move & place the fender more than any other body part. Good luck with it

Sometime a shim is needed on the top stud on the rear of the fender. (The one that is hidden above the door hinges.) A shim is used there to get the proper height to align with the door and cowl. Also as you mentioned the rear leg of the fender.

On the rail where the fenders go on both sides there shouldnt be any reason to shim there right or anywhere else but down on the dog leg right?

How about a source for the bolts that bolt the dog leg down under the car what can I use there. Id like to buy new i remember the old ones being rusted and broke. I believe they looked like this but dont know size

Attachments

• fender bolts.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 145
-
Back