alignment/steering question

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
72 duster slant, driver , p.s. I drive it to work 64 mi trip, back roads of Missouri ( bout 20 mi of I down old Rt. 66) sorta cool.
I take it to shop that does allignments. small twon so they can't stay in business screwing people. he drives it down road, looks at suspension. says it doesn't " come back" going down the road.
I took it there because it "wanders" is what I call it. got it in shop at work and mechanic there that has worked building pro dirt track cars. measures the toe in. NONE, tires pint dead ahead.
the alignment guy tells me the suspension will have to be done w ith new oparts, it won't do any good to align otherwise, waste of money. says its NOT dangerous, just worn, not woreout, and whatever ???
this is not a keeper. I will drive it to work for 3 days a week for 5 months starting in april., less it sells.... I should probably just have another shop look at it? or at least adjust the centerlink for a little toe in?????
I need to rebuild front suspension on my "keepers" and not spend $$ on a car no one wants to pay for improvements on ..???

When the lower arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, etc.., wear out, the angle of the spindles is going to lean, and flip/flop while driving. Adjusting tie rods longer or shorter wont stop it from constantly changing.
Bottom line.. you fix it or you don't.

If the steering is not returning properly, that is due to not having enough caster. That would also contribute greatly to wandering. If it's not "wore out" and it's not "dangerous" then I don't understand what is stopping him from doing an alignment.

If the steering is not returning properly, that is due to not having enough caster. That would also contribute greatly to wandering. If it's not "wore out" and it's not "dangerous" then I don't understand what is stopping him from doing an alignment.

out here in the sticks, but there are 2 other shops I can have look at it. not sure if he wanted the $$ for front end rebuild job or what? i'm sure it could use new stuff. perhaps he figured the "correct" way is to rebuild it all and then align..

this car like is said is down a ways on my list of things to spend $$ on! would it be worthwhile for me to buy offset upper a arm bushings? and then get all aligned??? wondering....

x2 take it somewhere else.

out here in the sticks, but there are 2 other shops I can have look at it. not sure if he wanted the $$ for front end rebuild job or what? i'm sure it could use new stuff. perhaps he figured the "correct" way is to rebuild it all and then align..

this car like is said is down a ways on my list of things to spend $$ on! would it be worthwhile for me to buy offset upper a arm bushings? and then get all aligned??? wondering....

I would take it to a good alignment shop first. Could be it just needs a good alignment. They don't always need the offset bushings

its on my list to take to different shop and see what they can do. I will be back on road with it in April. unless they do what last boss did.....
went back in april to go back to work.... tells me how he gave my job to a Mexican.. ( no offense to foreigners) ,,,, younger and cheaper ( wish I had a tape recorder going)LOL!

I really feel bout about kicking in his fender on his ram on way out... NOT really.... even if it was a mopar! LOL

-
Back