Alive Dead Alive

-

Breadfather

Reaction score
I was driving my 72 swinger around 2 weeks ago and after about 30 minutes of driving I went into the store for a few things about 40 minutes later I went to start her up and she wouldn't go. After a few minutes of waiting and cursing she fired up and ran fine. About halfway home she died again as i was letting off of the gas for a stop sign. This time I could not get her going again. After a few "almost got it running" attempts I towed it home with the help of my brother. I was thinking Ballast resistor, because some times it would run while holding the key forward but then die when I let it go back to the run position. Today I got my new resistor and after a jump start from my cummins it was purring like usual. I assumed everything was okay. Boy was I wrong. After about 20 or so minutes of driving, I was turning into my neighborhood and as i was letting off of the gas the same thing happened as the last time. So now I know it is not the resistor. What could it be? Fuel? Ignition? Both? I got ride home from a neighbor and went back about 3 hours later. Jump start from the Cummins later and she was running like nothing happened. So now I think it is temperature problem. I was also concerned that my battery was not charged after 25 minutes of driving. It has a new red top optima in it and a new alternator as well. Maybe the optima take longer to charge I guess. Well thats the story sorry it is so long but I thought the more info on what happened the better. Oh it has a 318 and a 904 trans. thanks again.

Just for kicks start the car and check your amperage running from the alternator might just be a bad regulator if its telling the alternator to not charge the battery the car may be running your battery dead or its only working some of the time also check the coil

Is it still points ignition or did you upgrade it to electronic? If it's points, check/replace the condenser in the distributor and the coil. If it's electronic check/replace the ECU.

Also, is it still the stock 2-bbl. Carter? I know when I was still running that carb on my 318 I had a LOT of problems with gas boiling in the carb. You can find out if it's that by driving around until the car is warmed up and if/when it stalls or won't start again, take off the air cleaner and look at the carb. If it reeks of gas and the carb and air cleaner are wet with gas then you'll know.

well i know when it happens there is a strong gas smell but it is an edelbrock 4 barrel. i will check the distributor to see whats up there. i know when the car is running the amp meter is bouncing around 12 to 14 so i think it is good. assuming that the stock amp meter is accurate. is it possible for gas to boil in and edelbrock with out the car over heating? i thought that because of the gas smell that it might just be getting really flooded but maybe it is boiling.

my dart done the same thing once, Mine was the pick-up in the dist. I don't know if yours is points then that wouldn't be it

check the connection between your ignition switch and wire harness. had this happen to me a few weeks ago, hard to trace but easy to fix.

well i know when it happens there is a strong gas smell but it is an edelbrock 4 barrel. i will check the distributor to see whats up there. i know when the car is running the amp meter is bouncing around 12 to 14 so i think it is good. assuming that the stock amp meter is accurate. is it possible for gas to boil in and edelbrock with out the car over heating? i thought that because of the gas smell that it might just be getting really flooded but maybe it is boiling.

YES fuel boiling is an issue with ALL Edelbrock/Carter carburetors whether 2 or 4 barrel. The ThermoQuad is the only exception, and that's because of the "plastic" fuel bowls. Add a 1/2" or 1" thick spacer (phenolic/plastic, NOT aluminum) and make sure your fuel line is routed away from any hot engine parts.

i will check both this weekend i ran out of time yesterday (damn errands for the in-laws) thanks for your input i will get back to you all at least now i know what direction to head cause i was getting ready to start pulling my hair out

-
Back