Alky car on gas

-

dusterdragracer

Drag Racer
Reaction score
To anybody running alky (methanol) do yourself a favor,set up a prime/drive system.
Cold starts are no problem, warm ups are super fast.Drive to the line and back on gasoline.
At race end you can wash out the alky from the cylinders, then put it away for the week. It also drains the fuel bowls for storage and makes easy jet changes. It is so simple to do, it's crazy, and it saves a ton of methanol use.
The guy that bought my Valiant builds them, you can buy them from him, or buy some of the parts from him, and build it yourself like I did.It's going to cost you in the $400.00 range either way, but you will save it in fuel costs.
No more carb fires, no more pop backs.So much more safer.

What are some of the issues with alcohol? I'm not real familiar with it yet.

What are some of the issues with alcohol? I'm not real familiar with it yet.

Hard to heat the engine.
You will burn normally twice as much as gas.
On a cold engine, you need to prime it with alky or gas to start.
Huge chance of engine back fire/fires on cold engines.
It creates a lot of moister in the engine, but there are ways to manage that.

The drive/prime on gas, alleviates all of the above

The plus is cooler running engine.
Far more consistent that race fuel.
Far less expensive then race fuel (even at twice the consumption)
Big H.P. and torque gains.
Engine sounds bad 'A' running on it.
Smells good
People love it
I love it.

I help out a friend with an alcohol Mopar wedge, we cannot believe the torque, made over 1000 ft/lbs NA.
It's got an oil heater, probably helps.

can you post some pics of this system your talking about? i'm looking to change over to E85 and they don't recomend leaving this sitting in the fuel bowls and fuel system for a period of time.

can you post some pics of this system your talking about? i'm looking to change over to E85 and they don't recomend leaving this sitting in the fuel bowls and fuel system for a period of time.

I would just drain the fuel cell, and run straight gas through. I don't think this would be for you.There is still some fuel in the bowls (very little).

Attachments

• fuel spray.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 96
-
Back