All the Mopurists, don't look, it's blasphemous!

-
LS is a great platform. So is a LC2 drivetrain (turbocharged V6 buick for those guys that don't know lol...)

But they are both ticking timebombs. Keep throwing the coal to em' and it's like the lottery. Play enough and you will win something. The LS is an example an aftermarket piece that took off like a rocket.

I never really thought about finding a late model Challenger and doing something with them. Always makes for good entertainment....

JW

When the new Challenger was released, one of my first thoughts was to take a V6 model, and dropping a stout 340 under the hood, that would be my idea of a cool hot rodded Challenger. I'm not a complete purist, but I do find it less than appealing to find the small block Chevy, or as is becoming the norm today, an LS motor plunked into absolutely everything and anything.

This generations 327 chevy swap. Oh look a 40 ford with a 327, etc...

Around here, it wouldn't even be able to be tagged or street driven, as it wouldn't pass obd2 inspection, due to nonfunctional PCM. Cool I guess? And currently worth about the same as when it was a salvage v6.

I find it hard to give a crap what kind of motor is in there or how fast it is, when it's boosted. At that point, meh. Anything goes fast with boost. My '93 Ram goes fast with boost. Your lawnmower goes fast with boost. Put a RX7 engine in there; goes fast with boost. Yawn.

Just wait. I put an electric motor in there and broke the sound barrier. No boost, but still boring.

smart man there..

v6 salvage title car with 6.0 LS turbo.

after paint he says he should have under 20K into ti.

pretty cool and bad ***..

I agree. You either get with the times of get left behind. Mopar decided to do the latter.

I was tempted to do an LS to save money over the 5.9 stroker I'm doing for much greater cost.
I don't believe the longevity is better for a second.
I just felt better keeping the engine Mopar. For NO good reason. Perhaps sentimentality I don't know.
I have a Ford diff so some will despise me for it.
That thought actually made me more tempted to do the LS. :)

When the new Challenger was released, one of my first thoughts was to take a V6 model, and dropping a stout 340 under the hood, that would be my idea of a cool hot rodded Challenger. I'm not a complete purist, but I do find it less than appealing to find the small block Chevy, or as is becoming the norm today, an LS motor plunked into absolutely everything and anything.

It does get depressing, but show me another platform that's SO well supported and so affordable. And as for "ticking time bomb" I'll argue that all day long. Since I've now torn down a few, the LS platform is badass. 6 bolt main caps and deep skirted blocks like a Hemi. Oh yeah, that's just waitin to explode. NOT. Fact is, you can get a stone stock 5.3, bolt on a cheap EBay turbo and make 600 HP. How much will it cost to do that with a new gen Hemi? I love Mopar and really cannot STAND cross breeding, but it's no wonder the LS platform is finding it's way into everything. And why care about blowing one up when there's another one waiting in line in the junkyard for 300 bucks?

Last edited:
Okay what's the point he can make a fast car cheaper? He's not saying that you couldn't build a Mopar to beat that car right? Everyone knows if you're going to play with Mopars you better have some dough ! people build Chevys a lot of times can't afford Mopars. Or they look at their motor with the value meal perspective I don't shop at Walmart either just because it's cheap the place just sucks but it's cheap!

Last edited:
Meh, late model cookie cutter engine in a late model cookie cutter car

Drop a real hemi in there, that would catch my eye

Yes, pull up next to an EVO VII or a WRX SI in your hot Mopar street car.

My turbo II Caravan made mincemeat of those rice rockets.

It wasn't faster or anything, it was just large enough to host an orgy in the back.

You either get with the times of get left behind. Mopar decided to do the latter.

umm..what?? ...........when did mopar get left behind?
should we go back, ummmm..lets say just the last 5yrs for those not paying attention:

2015 Dodge Hellcat
The most powerful car ever produced in America. 707 hp. Only five other production cars in the world deliver more horsepower, and all of them are manufactured in other countries.
Hellcat Charger can reach top speeds of 204 mph, making it the fastest and most powerful production sedan ever made.
Hellcats A8, 8 speed automatic transmission shifts in just 160 milliseconds.
Hellcat has over 2.2 million lines of code.

2016 Dodge Viper ACR
powered by an all-aluminum 8.4-liter V-10 overhead-valve engine, rated at 645 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque – the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world. it can accelerate 0-60 mph in 3seconds.
The SCCA has certified that the new 2016 Dodge Viper ACR holds more track records than any other production car in the world. It has certified lap records at 13 road courses, including world-famous Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway.
The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR with the Extreme Aero package, delivers 1,700+ pounds of peak downforce at top speed through a massive adjustable dual-element carbon fiber rear wing, rear carbon fiber diffuser, unique SRT hood with removable louvers, detachable extension for the front splitter and additional dive planes.
The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR features new Brembo® Carbon Ceramic Matrix brakes for optimum braking performance with unprecedented brake fade resistance, and greater handling capability through reduced un-sprung weight. The system uses 390-millimeter (15.4-inch) two-piece front rotors and 360-millimeter (14.2-inch) two-piece rear rotors. Front brakes use six-piston Brembo® calipers while the rear brakes use four-piston calipers.

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon
the highest horsepower production V8 in the world.
The first production car designed to run on high octane fuel & 100+ octane race gas.
0-60mph in 2.3 seconds.
0-30 miles-per-hour in 1 second.
The highest acceleration g-forces in any production car in the world – that of 1.8g.
The 1st production car to install street-legal drag radials.
It’s the first-ever factory production car with Torque Reserve.
It’s the first-ever factory production car with front passenger seat delete.
It’s the first-ever front-wheel lift in production car (2.92 feet) as certified by Guinness World Records.

2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye
boasts the 6.2-liter, supercharged V8 797hp with a 2.7-liter supercharger --
the largest factory supercharger available in a production car.
60 miles per hour arrives in just 3.4 seconds. quarter-mile time of 10.8 seconds at a trap speed of 131 mph. Top speed? 203 mph, making it the fastest, & most powerful production muscle car in the world.
15.4-inch vented and slotted rotors up front, squeezed by six-piston calipers. Behind the rear wheels nestle 13.8-inch rotors, with four-piston calipers, one of the largest brake packages on any production car.

..should I go on? seems like dodge has lead the way in its own choosen segement for a while now. how exactly are worlds records and a host of 1st, being left behind?
There is also the 1320, Trackhawk, SRT Durango, Scatpacks, and all of these have tech, perf, safety packages which rival anything anyone else is putting out currently. Least we forget my favorite, even before my Hellcat wide body, the dragpack...any other manf been producing an 8 second, out of the box, track only car for sale to the general public?
......guess they barrowed all the above and then some, from, umm, ford? hyundai?
Gosh Darn Facts, they do get in the way of misinformed statements & opinions huh….

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Watch out for these too......

Some just like other brands but I thought this was for A bodies only. Fgill and Mr Sinister got it right. Maybe start a for gm only site so they can praise there secret love somewhere else.

umm..what?? ...........when did mopar get left behind?
should we go back, ummmm..lets say just the last 5yrs for those not paying attention:

2015 Dodge Hellcat
The most powerful car ever produced in America. 707 hp. Only five other production cars in the world deliver more horsepower, and all of them are manufactured in other countries.
Hellcat Charger can reach top speeds of 204 mph, making it the fastest and most powerful production sedan ever made.
Hellcats A8, 8 speed automatic transmission shifts in just 160 milliseconds.
Hellcat has over 2.2 million lines of code.

2016 Dodge Viper ACR
powered by an all-aluminum 8.4-liter V-10 overhead-valve engine, rated at 645 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque – the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world. it can accelerate 0-60 mph in 3seconds.
The SCCA has certified that the new 2016 Dodge Viper ACR holds more track records than any other production car in the world. It has certified lap records at 13 road courses, including world-famous Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway.
The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR with the Extreme Aero package, delivers 1,700+ pounds of peak downforce at top speed through a massive adjustable dual-element carbon fiber rear wing, rear carbon fiber diffuser, unique SRT hood with removable louvers, detachable extension for the front splitter and additional dive planes.
The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR features new Brembo® Carbon Ceramic Matrix brakes for optimum braking performance with unprecedented brake fade resistance, and greater handling capability through reduced un-sprung weight. The system uses 390-millimeter (15.4-inch) two-piece front rotors and 360-millimeter (14.2-inch) two-piece rear rotors. Front brakes use six-piston Brembo® calipers while the rear brakes use four-piston calipers.

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon
the highest horsepower production V8 in the world.
The first production car designed to run on high octane fuel & 100+ octane race gas.
0-60mph in 2.3 seconds.
0-30 miles-per-hour in 1 second.
The highest acceleration g-forces in any production car in the world – that of 1.8g.
The 1st production car to install street-legal drag radials.
It’s the first-ever factory production car with Torque Reserve.
It’s the first-ever factory production car with front passenger seat delete.
It’s the first-ever front-wheel lift in production car (2.92 feet) as certified by Guinness World Records.

2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye
boasts the 6.2-liter, supercharged V8 797hp with a 2.7-liter supercharger --
the largest factory supercharger available in a production car.
60 miles per hour arrives in just 3.4 seconds. quarter-mile time of 10.8 seconds at a trap speed of 131 mph. Top speed? 203 mph, making it the fastest, & most powerful production muscle car in the world.
15.4-inch vented and slotted rotors up front, squeezed by six-piston calipers. Behind the rear wheels nestle 13.8-inch rotors, with four-piston calipers, one of the largest brake packages on any production car.

..should I go on? seems like dodge has lead the way in its own choosen segement for a while now. how exactly are worlds records and a host of 1st, being left behind?
There is also the 1320, Trackhawk, SRT Durango, Scatpacks, and all of these have tech, perf, safety packages which rival anything anyone else is putting out currently. Least we forget my favorite, even before my Hellcat wide body, the dragpack...any other manf been producing an 8 second, out of the box, track only car for sale to the general public?
......guess they barrowed all the above and then some, from, umm, ford? hyundai?
Gosh Darn Facts, they do get in the way of misinformed statements & opinions huh….
Oh yes brother preach the truth! And let's not forget 2 years back in NASCAR to win the championship too easy

-
Back