Almost afraid to ask...

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
I've been prepairing to have the 318 in my 73 swinger taken up a notch with hopes of coming close to 300hp (basically cam install & valve job & gasket match & possibly shorty headers). The shop I've lined up to do the work has made no bones about trying to get me to pick up a running 360 & go that direction. The thought of more displacement sounds great & I've had the thought many times since starting this endeavor but my budget is a strict 2k-2.2k. I've already got the intake (performer) Carb (Holley 600 vac) & exhaust is 2 1/4 Dual w/ x-pipe installed. I've seen a couple advertised running complete 360's within 2 hours of my home (Oakland, CA) for anywhere from 300-500, but I'm afraid I'd be way over budget going with the swap & components I've aquired wouldnt be the best choice for the 360. Should I stay the course or should I take the advice of the shop & change directions & if I do can I pull it off with my budget?

Stay the course. Go look at my 318 "Frankenteen" thread. I garranfrikkintee you that motor is gonna bust 300 HP all to hell and I got peanuts in it.

Seems awesome stroker, I just checked it out. You & I are miles apart on ability & know how. This is my 1st project & has been a slow moving train. I'm hoping to stay out of the bottom end if it can be helped since i'm not turning the wrenches myself. I have another thread (here) explaining my plan of action for my modest build. Do you still believe my money & attention should still be focused on the 318. The shop owner I've been talking to hasn't made light of what I'd like to do to the 318 but made a statement that keeps resonating with me, he had said that a basically stock refresh on a 360 would be similar to the mildly built 318. Not expressly looking to get talked into the 360 swap, especially if it means due to my budget I would need to wait significantly longer, I just dont want to feel after all is said & done I should have gone the other way.

If all you're lookin for is around 300 or so HP and you already HAVE the 318, use it. See above article. lol Keep in mind you can also substitute Magnum heads.

hey you guys need help, hit me up. i;m close to you and can help you out and save you some dollars too!300 hp with a teen? easy .mike

Where at in sl i grew up there, right off davis st.one of my buddies lives in san lorenzo.i will be working on his camaro there in a couple of weeks.and what shop are you thinking about using....

Where at in sl i grew up there, right off davis st.one of my buddies lives in san lorenzo.i will be working on his camaro there in a couple of weeks.and what shop are you thinking about using....

I'm on Williams near Doolittle, right around the corner from where you grew up. This is the house I grew up in as well, moved back into this house when my sister vacated. Back home after 20 years, go figure. Was talking to the guys at G&L services in Richmond after a friend had a good experience with an El Camino there. Another friend is recommending I talk to S&S Auto on Washington Ave, which is also the shop my dad used to use years ago on his bow tie projects. I was gonna give them a call this week. A work acquaintance has used the Hobby Shop in Oakland & was pleased but I'm not very familiar with them & the work they do there. I shot you a PM. Hit me back.

That's right. Work on them to fund real cars. lol

I've been prepairing to have the 318 in my 73 swinger taken up a notch with hopes of coming close to 300hp (basically cam install & valve job & gasket match & possibly shorty headers). The shop I've lined up to do the work has made no bones about trying to get me to pick up a running 360 & go that direction. The thought of more displacement sounds great & I've had the thought many times since starting this endeavor but my budget is a strict 2k-2.2k. I've already got the intake (performer) Carb (Holley 600 vac) & exhaust is 2 1/4 Dual w/ x-pipe installed. I've seen a couple advertised running complete 360's within 2 hours of my home (Oakland, CA) for anywhere from 300-500, but I'm afraid I'd be way over budget going with the swap & components I've aquired wouldnt be the best choice for the 360. Should I stay the course or should I take the advice of the shop & change directions & if I do can I pull it off with my budget?

My 2 cents, Go later model 360 magnum roller motor, leaves
alot of room for future improvements.
Makes a good foundation to build on.
Both motors will do what you ask at 300hp, the 360 will
just make more power for the same machine work/parts effort.
After you spend your money on the short block, from there
on out any part you add or change can be done with the motor
in the car.
Displacement is hard to change if you want to go bigger
at a later date.

Is your shop able to provide a 360 motor with your wishes
and in your budjet?

My 2 cents, Go later model 360 magnum roller motor, leaves
alot of room for future improvements.
Makes a good foundation to build on.
Both motors will do what you ask at 300hp, the 360 will
just make more power for the same machine work/parts effort.
After you spend your money on the short block, from there
on out any part you add or change can be done with the motor
in the car.
Displacement is hard to change if you want to go bigger
at a later date.

Is your shop able to provide a 360 motor with your wishes
and in your budjet?

I haven't priced my options with the 360 swap yet. I plan on doing that this week to make sure I've got all my options in clear view. I've had a few members reach out to me here & I really appreciate it. I know my budget would strech so much farther if I could do the work myself, but I've never done much more than turn a few brake rotors, tune ups, compression checks, etc...

-
Back