Alt to Battery wiring question.

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I'm running a 4ga wire from my 60 amp Denso Alt. to the battery in the trunk. Should I put my breaker nearest the battery or the Alt.
Secondly looking for recommendations on a CD relay brands and where to locate.
Thanks
Amazon product ASIN B08LYG7ZYF

I'm running a 4ga wire from my 60 amp Denso Alt. to the battery in the trunk. Should I put my breaker nearest the battery or the Alt.
Thanks

I would say battery in case something shorts between the battery and the front.

Not sure if this helps but ....
"I found a forum post on Pro-Touring.com where a user asked about circuit breakers for trunk-mounted batteries. One user suggested using a solenoid next to the battery, if you’re concerned about a short. When wired correctly, it’s hot only during cranking. Then run a circuit breaker or fusible link on the alternator wire that goes to the battery. Another user suggested using a 200 amp manual breaker mounted about 18" from the battery as it would be a good way to protect against any shorts in long battery cables1. I also found a trunk mount battery relocation wiring kit with a 200A circuit breaker that can be used to wire the power system of a race/performance car with the battery located in the rear/trunk passenger side of the vehicle2."

I have a ford solenoid in the trunk already for my starter wire which kills power after cranking. I'm looking for alt. wire protection. I do see a diagram with a multi amp breaker. I'm talking 60Amp alt. so 100amp IMO would cook 4Ga. wire. I had a 100amp protecting my starter wire but was tripping do to high cranking amps. I see they recommended 200 amp there. Looks like most recommend close to Battery.

Here's a good thread to read about battery relocation and wiring

The battery is the big boy that is gonna burn everything down. Fuse from the battery

My usual argument. If you are goin racing, and trunk mount, an always hot lead from battery to alternator can STILL do a LOT of welding in a crash. Think about it.

Did that 8 years ago. Lol. The diagram does not protect the alt. wire that I'm running under my passenger side sill plate.
How about this thread? Crackedback has some good info

Thanks
Did you verify that a 4 gauge cable is heavy enough for that amp load over that distance, and don't forget to use a similar size ground cable from the alternator to the battery. If you plan on using the chassis to carry part of the ground load, make sure you have solid clean connections with properly sized cables.

How are you going to feed your electrical accessories etc?

I like to use heavy duty "0" sized welding cables, as the insulation is tough. You can also run the cables inside flexible conduit-type sheathing.

Tell you what, I see suggestions on the net for anywhere from 150-400amps for a trunk mounted battery circuit breaker.
Then I found this provided by a seller.
So I read this as a 150a breaker MIGHT open at 300a continuous for 10 seconds.
Unless it gets hot and "derates." I never crank more than 5 seconds.
I chose a 150a, let you know how it goes
circuit breakers.jpg

I'm running 4 Ga. to the battery obviously for charging. I already have 1/0 Positive from battery to solenoid then to starter. I also run a 1/0 ground to a lug welded to the frame in the trunk. 1/0 from front frame rail to engine block. 4 ga should be fine for charge wire hence 60 amp alt. I w3as using a 8 ga wire which was not good enough for me.

-
Back