Alt upgrade

-

bdusted440

Reaction score
So I’ve got a 1972 Plymouth duster 340. 4 spd. And I got a 360 out of a 98 dodge ram Non a/c . I want to use the newer Dodge alternator and I have the pigtail that plugs into the back of the alternator how do I wire that pigtail up so it will work.Keep in mind that I kept all the brackets and everything off the Dodge ram on the motor so it now has a serpentine belt.

Wires up same as your 72. Should be 3 wires, possibly 4 if there is separate ground. 2 brush/ field connections go to the green and the blue on your 72, and then the output stud

Add an additional wire from the large alternator stud to the battery positive terminal. This will lower the current going thru the firewall connector, which will overload when/if the battery gets low and the alternator charges at a high rate. Many posts about this.

Add an additional wire from the large alternator stud to the battery positive terminal. This will lower the current going thru the firewall connector, which will overload when/if the battery gets low and the alternator charges at a high rate. Many posts about this.

This is good info, but be sure you either use the correct rated fuseable link, fuse or circuit breaker to protect the high current cable.

Spend some time reading the Madd Electric article. It's a good starting point.

-
Back