altenator alternatives?

-
my ignorance proves to be the problem, after reading over the tips on here and doing some tests i came to the conclusion that something was wrong with how the alternator was wired. at the time when i got a new alt from kragens i thought they might have given me the wrong one, and they did. i guess what they gave me was a 69 and earlier single field style and my car is wired for the double field. long story short, new right alt and its all working beatifully, just over 14 on the gauge at cruise speed. thanks everyone! im much more educated on alternators and wiring now, which is cool for me :)

................... they might have given me the wrong one, and they did. i guess what they gave me was a 69 and earlier........................... :)

I should have made this more clear. One big problem with 70/ later "rebuilts" is a couple of things:

1. Just plain getting a 69/ earlier with grounded field

2. Some rebuilders modify early alternators and add a second brush. sometimes these are incorrectly installed and are actually grounded.

In 2 above, you have a 50-50 shot. If you happen to hook this incorrectly grounded terminal to your blue ign wire, smoke happens.

If you happen to hook this to the green reg. wire, the thing charges full tilt --unregulated.

Glad you got 'er. To me, car in front of me, this stuff is easy. To think this "over the www" is difficult to imagine all the possibilities

-
Back