Altenator on wagon died

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I went to the swap meet in Pomona yesterday, had to get there at 4:00 in the morning, and my 9 year old daughter went with me. So she wants to listen to the radio for a while after we get there. When we go to leave the battery dies. I get a jump but the car does not charge. I get home pull the battery which is 6 months old and the geniuses at Kragen tell me it is bad and will not hold a charge. I also pull the altenator and the Kragen guys can't figure out how to test it because there are not enough wires. So this morning I take it all to the place where I bought the battery he will check the battery and replace if needed. Also he knew exactly what the alternator came out of before I could tell him it was from a 65 Dart slant six. He went to have his guy test the altenator and it looks like it ate the brushes. Can I replace just the brushes? If I need a new altenator do I need a new regulator too? He told me it would be $70 for the altenator and $25 for the regulator. It looks like I can get a new altenator online for under $40. Is there one I should look for? One I should avoid?

Thanks for your patience with my rambling question
Tim

Yes, you can purchase brush kits for Mopar alternators. I stock a set in my tool box it is the number wear item in the alternators. I have changed them out before while still in the car.

Chuck

Yes, you can purchase brush kits for Mopar alternators. I stock a set in my tool box it is the number wear item in the alternators. I have changed them out before while still in the car.

Chuck

Ii think that is what I will do then. Everything was working great, then it stopped charging. Even after, the gauges and everything work, so I hope this will do it. Cause like everyone else today I am short on funds.

I see Rock auto has them, is there a chance I can find them in town in stock?

OK, I have a new question. How likely is it that this is the regulator? The ameter works but shows that the battery is not charging. I have the brushes on order from Kragen for $1.60 so I will give that a shot but it will take 2 days to get them. They have a whole alternator in stock on hold just in case. Should I do the same with the regulator?

Not too likely it's the regulator, but quite likely it's the brushes. I think there's a reprint from an old Mopar Action article on Moparts that shows an alternator rebuild.

Not too likely it's the regulator, but quite likely it's the brushes. I think there's a reprint from an old Mopar Action article on Moparts that shows an alternator rebuild.

That sounds good, be nice if this only costs me $1.60. I will have to look for that article.

Pull the old brushes out and look at them. If they barely stick out of the plastic brush holder then they are worn out. They stick out of the brush holder at least 1/4" when they are useable.

Did you order two sets so you have one later? Less than two bucks is cheap insurance.

Chuck

I thought I was cheap so I commend you!

Once you get the brushes into the alternator fire it up and take a voltage reading at the output of the alternator while the engine is running at a fast idle. If it's working correctly it should read close to 14.0 volts.

So I got the brushes today. Put them in, hooked up the alternator, connected the positive cable and... POP-Sizzle! Smoke came off of the wires going into the firewall, I pulled the cable off, black was loose. Now it is dead. What happened? and how can I fix it?

HELP!

It sounds like you have bad connections at the firewall which is typical of old Mopars. Pull the connectors apart at the firewall and look at them, I'll bet they aren't making contact properly. You may also want to test the alternator at a shop.

So I got the alternator tested... BAD. So I wasted $1.60. But I hooked up the alternator wrong and fried some stuff. That's what I get for trying to be cheap. Now I need a new fusible link, cause I pulled mine off and I guess there is supposed to be wire in there, not just a floppy hollow plastic tube. I just hope it did it's job and protected the rest of the wiring.

When you wired it wrong you most likely killed the diodes in the alternator. They don't like being wired backwards and will die instantly if done so.

If you didn't trade in your old alternator yet take out the brushes and keep them.

Chuck

Woo Hoo! Picked up the fusible link last night on the way home as the parts store was closing, put it on and the wagon fired right up, looks like it is charging too. Drove the kids to school, then took the car in to work today. Nice to have her back on the road.

-
Back