alternative 4spd

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
I have a 3 speed in my 74 Duster, and I need at least one more gear! It's difficult to come by a reasonably priced A-833, so I was wondering if you guys could spout off a few good yet inexpensive manual transmissions offering more than 3 forward gears. Thanks

The overdrive A833ODs from a pick-up or van are ususally pretty cheap at the local bone yard. I got mine from an 80 D100 pick-up complete with flywheel, clutch, bell housing, tranny and shifter for $75.00.

Took a little fabrication to come up with a mount for the shifter (these trannies are longer than a A-body tranny and the shifter mounts are infront and behind where the A-body tranny has it) and of course the drive shaft had to be shortened. Otherwise it's a straight bolt in.

I have gotten A-833's for less than a grand complete and good shape. Aftermarket manuals run about twice as much. Such a case is the Richmond 5 speed tanny. It has a lower first gear and a 1-1 5th gear.
I never seen them up close, just advertised for about $1500 or so.

don't know what they run but here is an alternative solution. in charlotte n.c. there are a few places that sells used nascar and busch parts.almost any thing you could think of .(c u p ) competion used parts/bsr motorsports and muscle motor sports.should be able to get a jerico trans.with one of these you can custom taylor your ratios and i don't think you could ever break one of these trannys on the street. hope this helps. jerico trans are also located in charlotte .

Thanks guys, I guess I'll probably keep looking for a junkyard A-833 as there doesn't seem to be any inexpensive alternatives, I don't know about fabricating new a new shifter mount... We'll see.

The mount isn't really a big deal. I used a 1/2" piece of alumium plate that was about 9" long and 3" wide. Wound up cutting a L shape out of it and drilled holes to bolt to the rear mount and drilled and tapped holes up fron for the shifter. I then used the stock shifter mounting bracket and made a spacer to move it to the left so it came through the middel of the hole in the hump.

I'm planning on trying to fit a Borg-Warner T5 behind a 318 for my beater Duster eventually. I bought a used one that needs a rebuild for about $100. The dimensions are very close to an A-833 (I have both and set them side by side). The mount is only about half an inch off, and the sifter is in the same general location. The bearing retainer will need to be cut down (I'm planning on using a Lakewood safety housing with the 4.80 hole) as it's about 4.91 inches. The only major obstacle right now is whether or not the torsion bar cross member is going to hit the tranny case or not. I haven't had a chance to yank the motor and tranny out of my Dart yet to test fit it.

Several folks over at slantsix.com have swapped T5's behind there slant 6's. Seems the Mustang version fits better than the GM version used in Camaros and Firebirds. I think I read the GM version is about 20 degrees off vertical when it mounts. Besides having to use a clutch disk with a compatable spline there is an issue with the pilot bearing. The input shaft is not the correct length. Don't recall whether it's long or short but I do remeber that a late model truck roller bearing that fits the torque convertor register is used in plae of the bronze bushing.

Yeah, mine is a world class box out of a moostang (late 80's). The input shaft is shorter then the A-833, but the A-833 extends so far into the crank, I think you can get away with just an adapter on the pilot bushing. On the plus side, I think this conversion would work without having to drill the crank on an auto crank.

On bigblockdart.com there is a section where a guy made a mounting plate for the shifter. gives pictures and dimensions

have you ver thought of getting a gear vendors overdrive unit. bolts right up to the tranny, and youll automatically have a 6 speed instead of the 3 speed. they cost around 2500, seen some on ebay though for about 1000 less than that, and it has warranty. I might end up doing that istead of doing an A833 swap that I intended to do, its a lot easier

I have a '74 A body 4 speed that the gears are trashed in.
I also have a '65 B body 4 speed that the gears are EXCELLENT (perfect, really) in.
If you know anything about dis-assembling and re-assembling one, my price is a steal, if not, the average shop will charge @ $200, plus parts (if needed) to put the 2 together.

I'd take $250 for the pair, but you'll need to come up with your own shifter and such, as I don't have any extra shifter stuff.
Otherwise, I can put the 2 together as a working, ready to run unit for an additional $100 (350 total, plus shipping), using the best of what parts I have.

If you're interested, e-mail me at [email protected]

Mark.

Consider the R-154 5 spd from a Turbo Supra. (older N/A Supra trans is a W-56). Anyway, the R-154 bolts directly up to a 94-96 3.9L DAKOTA Bellhousing, which bolts directly up to any A-engine (318,340,360). You can get the trans for a couple hun, bell for 75. Gives you juice clutch too. Gotta beat on the trans tunnel a little. I was gathering parts until I decided to go 451. Take a look at this:

www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

First 5 or so pages explain most, but a pretty good read....

49T&C

Hey 49T&C,
What's wrong with using the 5 speed from the Dakoda?

I found one at the junkyard in a full size truck w/3.8. I don't know anything about the 5 speeds. Will it hold up to a 360 w/mild cam? How big is the front bearing retainer?

Gear ratios - the Dakota trans is made to pull, the R154 is made to go fast.
Check the ratio of 1st ans 2nd.

The Dakota may require more fabrication (bigger hammer) to put it on, but it will work - 1st will get you off the line and then wants 2nd right away.

49T&C

Does anyone here have an R154 behind a 360? You make it seem as easy as finding the bellhousing and tranny and making a little room for it and bolting it in. What else is involved in this? The transmission mounts would have to be custom made wouldnt they? This idea intrigues me greatly, but I'm wondering how much actual work will be involved. Also do you know how much hp an R154 is good for?

Some of the alternative trannies may live behind a 318-360...but what would it do behind a slightly built 383?? It might go :pukel: :pukel: :pukel:

Need to piece this system together so that we can get the motor in the car. Got to get the right parts so things will fit in the 68 Dart...

And the search goes on...

Rick

My offer above disappeared long ago...
Apparently you think there are other options, or something cheaper, as I'm sure there is/are, but, to be blunt, pay the damned $$ for the RIGHT STUFF and go play, you'll save $$ and aggravation in the end and it'll be RIGHT!

BREWER'S is the way to go for all things 4 speed.

Mark.

-
Back