Alternative carb?

-

Fredrik

Reaction score
First of all - i'm not a native english speaker, so bare with my not 100% correct english.
I live in Sweden, and need a new carb for my 225. The old one is cracked and looks like a sponge in the goods..
However, those Holley 1920:s are impossible to get here. So -- are there any other carbs who will bolt-on? Adapter plates maybe?
I'm on a tight budget, otherwise i would have bought a 2bbl-intake and a new carb.. and it doesn't feel good spending $150 on a rebuilt carb and another $50 for the postage from USA

Thoughts and ideas?

Your cars engine used either a Holley or a Carter. If a junkyard is not available for another carb of either style, then your left with creating a way to use another carb available in your area. What ever the style carb maybe, you'll need to build/create an adapter plate.

Perhaps someone here can help with a new/rebuilt known good working unit they no longer need.

I thought I had a spare 1920 in my junk box but I no longer have it. Maybe someone else has a spare they can help you out with.

just order a carb rebuild kit for your current carb. you need a nice work area where you can take it all apart.

for all the adjustment screws, count how many turns when you take them out so you can put them precisely back.

you will want to soak the carbuerator body in solvent or alcohol overnight. fine clean it by hand, get all the dirt off that you can. the small passages can be tricky. you can get a can of compressed air to help. (wear glasses when doing this)

if you get the carbeurator parts totally clean and put in all the parts from the rebuild kit, and put the adjustment screws back the same number of turns that you took it apart, you will have a fresh like-new carb! at about 1/10 of the cost

First of all - i'm not a native english speaker, so bare with my not 100% correct english.
I live in Sweden, and need a new carb for my 225. The old one is cracked and looks like a sponge in the goods..
However, those Holley 1920:s are impossible to get here. So -- are there any other carbs who will bolt-on? Adapter plates maybe?
I'm on a tight budget, otherwise i would have bought a 2bbl-intake and a new carb.. and it doesn't feel good spending $150 on a rebuilt carb and another $50 for the postage from USA

Thoughts and ideas?

Let us see a picture of the carb you have,and the damage. What year is your car/engine?

just order a carb rebuild kit for your current carb. you need a nice work area where you can take it all apart.

for all the adjustment screws, count how many turns when you take them out so you can put them precisely back.

you will want to soak the carbuerator body in solvent or alcohol overnight. fine clean it by hand, get all the dirt off that you can. the small passages can be tricky. you can get a can of compressed air to help. (wear glasses when doing this)

if you get the carbeurator parts totally clean and put in all the parts from the rebuild kit, and put the adjustment screws back the same number of turns that you took it apart, you will have a fresh like-new carb! at about 1/10 of the cost

He said it is cracked.

Let us see a picture of the carb you have,and the damage. What year is your car/engine?

Can get pictures tomorrow.. but the core is in 2 pieces and oxidated below rescue. I actually have the equipment to weld aluminium at work, however this core is too bad.

I've never been to Europe,and dont have much experience with carb'd euro vehicles. But I assume that you should be able to get weber carbs over there as they came standard on some euro cars. Something like a 38 DGES.

But if you do go the route of the adapter please please please only use it as a temporary fix untill you buy a proper 2bbl carb. You will be missing out on performance/fuel economy.

I've never been to Europe,and dont have much experience with carb'd euro vehicles. But I assume that you should be able to get weber carbs over there as they came standard on some euro cars. Something like a 38 DGES.

Actually I think i have a small weber on my spare parts Volvo i got for free yesterday.. gonna take a look tomorrow!

A DGV weber will work fine on an adaptor, and should be easy to find over there.

32 / 36 mm progressive 2bbl for you mopar guys. Good carb with plenty of jet selection.

-
Back