Alternator disassemble question

-

siuauto

Reaction score
I am getting ready to send some parts out for powder coating and was thinking about having my alt case out. I pulled the pulley off and separated the case. Is the rotor pressed into the case too? Also do you guys think the bearings will withstand the baking?

I am getting ready to send some parts out for powder coating and was thinking about having my alt case out. I pulled the pulley off and separated the case. Is the rotor pressed into the case too? Also do you guys think the bearings will withstand the baking?

You should remove the bearings before powder coating. I'm assuming that the rotor is still attached to the front case. You will need to press the rotor and the bearing out of the front case. You will also need to pull the rear torrington bearing from the rear case. Make sure there are no rectifiers or regulators left in the case.

When you press the rear bearing, does it press from the outside into the inside vsversa or does it matter?

You have to desolder the rectifiers from the stator winding (that is the fixed winding in the outer part of the rear case). Then press out the rectifiers; being silicon, high heat will effect them in a bad way.

Bearings need to come out. The rear one comes out from the inside on the older ones.

Re-assembly to get the brushes back in place may be tricky.

-
Back